Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Fairy dust

If you ever needed proof that fairy dust is real, and magic exists, then you need look no further than Melbourne today. The evidence is astounding to say the least...

Jack wore a t-shirt to school today.
Christian ran out the door without a jumper...also in a short-sleeved shirt.
All of the windows in the house were open. All day. And even now, late at night, they remain brazenly flung open to the breeze.
My washing was hung out at lunchtime, and came in a few hours later bone dry.
The girls and I took the dogs for a walk after lunch. Maisie wore bare feet and a baby t, and duck-fluff hair. Phoebs sported a jaunty ensemble consisting of a short skirt, leggings, a t-shirt and party shoes.
After our walk, I felt way too toasty to be wearing jeans. And I was sure the sun had a bit of a sting in it, because my arms had a little colour...
The gentle wind caressing the house is, even now, soft and warm. I took Archibald around the block one more time not long ago, and came back roasting in my hoodie.
The kids are asleep in summer jarmies.
The cats and dogs are sprawled out across the floor, tongues lolling.

And why, I hear you mutter, is this nutjob woman talking about warm breezes and fairy dust?? Has she finally cracked??

Well, possibly. No, scratch that - probably.

But that's besides the point. The thing is, today would have been a beautiful, gentle, warm summer's day in Melbourne...if it wasn't winter. You heard me - today, Melburnians enjoyed the unseasonable warmth of a perfect 23 degree day in the heart of winter. Since Melbourne is famous for being, shall we say, rather chilly in winter, you could be forgiven for thinking that someone had been tampering with the weather fairy.

Whatever it was - fairy dust, magic, plain old jiggery-pokery - I don't care. I enjoyed every minute of the magnificent weather today (even if a little bit of me is wondering what Zeus is going to pull out of his hat to make us pay for it...). Even better than that, apparently it's going to be warm again tomorrow....that fairy dust is awesome stuff!!! I might see if I can get my hands on some, and sprinkle it up my nose. Who knows? It might even motivate me to clean the house properly...

1 comment:

I'm So Fancy said...

I'm jealous. I seem to be the bad weather fairy. If I came to see you, there would be freakish snowstorms followed by dust storms followed by a tsunami.