Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Festival Of Phoebe

This weekend has officially been re-named "The Festival of Phoebe" (which apparently tickles the birthday girl's funny bone). Last night, she was softly telling me about her favourite parts of the day. Apparently she love love loved the party food, and playing 'parcel parcel'. And playing Pin The Flower On The Fairy. And the cake. Thank heavens for that.

She adored having 'Happy Birthday' sung to her, and wondered, "Mumma, if you sang Happy Birthday to me today, 'cos I'm five, does that mean when you sing it to me on Monday that I'm six?" I just laughed at her. She had a hearty giggle too.

My middle baby, my eldest daughter, my little freckled princess, is absolutely desperate to grow up. She has been waiting to turn five since her fourth birthday, and more than once I have heard my own mother's voice coming out of my mouth, telling my girl not to wish her life away. She has been such a delectable four year old, just as she was an edible three year old, a delightful two year old, a divine one year old, and the most perfect baby.

Oh sure, she has her moments. She has a temper that flares rarely, but is a terrible thing to behold. She can be shy in one breath (and usually at the wrong moment), and then much too bold with the next. But she is incredibly affectionate - I think, on average, she tells me around a thousand times a day that she "indores" me. She is kind and sweet, and far too clever for her own good. She is happiest when life is simple and predictable, especially if her day involves going to kinder. She calls the weekends, 'keep days', because they're the days when "Mummy keeps me". I think my heart broke a little bit over that one.

I really wanted to make this birthday party special, (or as special as I could, given my inability to stretch time so I could organise it properly!) because I knew a tiny part of her would remember it. I also wanted her to know how much I indore her...and that even though Mummy is at work all day, every day, I am still always thinking of her.

However, I think this proves once and for all what a terrible mother I am...all my middle child wanted for her birthday party lunch were Cheezles and Twisties (and even those she didn't know the real names of), and "ordigal". Which, for the uninitiated, is cordial. Uh huh.

So Phoebe got her cheesey treats, and her ordigal, plus a few other things that were baked with a good helping of mother's guilt love...

(Sarah, this is for you!)

Sweets for my sweet...


Sugar for my honey...


And the cake that was meant to be a Donna Hay replica and turned into a "Oh-My-Lordy-The-Party-Is-Today!" cake...


The Mouse...

The Pirate...


And the beautiful, fairy-princess birthday girl...


Complete with icing on her nose!


In the morning, we will wish you a happy fifth birthday, Fairy Phoebe. Until then, you are still my little four year old, and I can pretend that you are not growing up faster than is decent. I indore you more than anything, plus 80-9-500 (her words, not mine - that's the biggest number she knows) :)

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Thank you Sal - I absolutely INDORE these photos!!!

The cake looks amazing, clever you and the marshmallow teacups?

Stunning!

Phoebes festival weekend sounds glorious and something Im sure she will never forget.

Keep days remind me of when Miss Mac was small and on Mondays I didn't work so she didnt go to nursery. With her brother at school it was just the two of us and she called them 'Mummy Lollydays, a combination of me, her name and the fact that it was out own little holiday. x

Sarah said...

ps, I apparently renamed you in my previous comment. My phone has a habbit of assuming it knows better than me what I want to say. Ooops, sorry! x

Kate said...

Just gorgeous, Sal - you are a very clever mummy! Big hugs and kisses to Fairy Princess Phoebs (who looks so much like you, it's delightful). Can't believe she's 5 already :)