Friday, June 24, 2011

Grateful for memories of a bride-to-be

The hair was perfectly cut and coloured.
The skin was soft, dewy and well-rested after six months of facials.
The fingernails and toenails were freshly manicured and painted a soft pink.
The waistline was slender; the limbs toned and trim.
The hands had arranged the flowers in the church.
The eyes had not rested until the cake was decorated just so (at home, with fresh-cut flowers, mind you!)
The legs had run hither and yon, delivering bonbonniere and list upon list to the reception centre.
The best friend had stuck through thick and thin, catastrophe and triumph, providing equal helpings of giggles and support.
The dress hung waiting, whispering behind it's white cover, the tiny beaded crystals and embroidery desperate to be worn.
The veil knew that it's moment was coming.
The brain knew that everything that could be done, had been done.
The brain also knew that excitement would prevent proper sleep.
The heart yearned for the morning, when the longed-for day would unfold.
The weather promised to be cold, crisp and sunny.
The groom promised to be at the church.
.
.
.
.
.
.
He was.
Six years ago tonight, I was a bride-to-be.
I was so grateful at the time to feel such joy, anticipating my wedding day.
I am so grateful now, knowing what a wonderful day it was.
And I am especially grateful for tomorrow, which I will spend with the wonderful boy who waited at the altar for me.

18 comments:

Jane said...

This is so, so beautiful! I actually have goosebumps reading it. Happy anniversary for tomorrow - I hope you and your groom have a wonderful day xxx

Sange said...

Happy Anniversary Sal for tomorrow. What a lovely blog! I loved every minute of my Wedding Day too! xxx

Unknown said...

oh what a beautiful post... thank you for sharing your memories of the eve of your wedding day.

made me have a little weep...

Megan said...

Truly lovely! Have a wonderful day tomorrow :)

ANB said...

Happy anniversary! Hope you both have a lovely day.

Mum on the Run said...

Happy anniversary.
I love that the memories are as though it were yesterday.
;-)

yaga said...

oh what a lovely memory! I hope you guys have a great anniversary weekend together!

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous post. Have a wonderful anniversary x

Emma said...

That is beautiful - I feel like I was there. What a special time. Happy anniversary - hope you have an absolutely perfect day!

Daisy, Roo and Two said...

That was so beautiful! I loved reading it! Happy Anniversary!

Seana Smith said...

Ah, so sweet... and only six years ago, you've packed a lot of children in! Hope you have a lovely day for your anniversary and a little bit of couple time somewhere in there too.

Gemma @ My Big Nutshell said...

That was positively gorgeous. Happy Anniversary and happy ever after too!

Maxabella said...

So beautiful! For a minute there I worried that you were building up to a 'he wasn't'! But he was and it looks like you've been happy for that ever since. Congrats on your anniversary and many more to come. x

Julia said...

Absolutely beautiful. Congrats and Happy Anniversary.x

EssentiallyJess said...

Gorgeous post! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

great blog If you are the type to update your blog regulary, then you have gained one daily reader in me today. keep up the super work.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading/following your page.Please keep it coming. Cheers!

Lene said...

This is so beautiful! Congrats!