Thursday, June 2, 2011

Introducing Jitterbug! Ta dah!!!!!!!!

Does anyone remember a secret I hinted at a little while ago?

I wrote about my Dad's beautiful children's art, and how my sister and I are starting a business with him. It's taken about six months to get everything up and running, but I can now safely say:

We would like to proudly announce the arrival of our baby business, Jitterbug!

And now I would like to shamelessly brag about my talented papa, and tell you exactly how you can get your hands on one of his divine canvases for your own sprogs. So indulge me, ok? Ok. Thanks!

My Dad has created a gorgeous little gallery in Balnarring on the Mornington Peninsula. There are two rooms, with one room devoted to his vibrant paintings for children. Whenever we visit Pa, my kids stand in the middle of the gallery and point to the ones they want next. I don't think they've cottoned on to the fact that our wall space is finite...Jack already owns three of Pa's canvases, Phoebe has two (with her eye firmly fixed on the unicorn next) and Maisie is the proud owner of two Pa originals.

My children's bedrooms have been decorated with these gorgeous, colourful, enormous pictures since they were born. One of Phoebe's is personalised, with her name emblazoned across it. When we are settled in our new house, I am going to ask Pa to paint each child's name and birth date in a particular way - you'll see what I mean. I'll explain later!

Very soon, Dad plans on adding accessories such as lamps and cushions to the range. I have plans for quilts and matching tote bags down the track...but I do love an accessory! For the moment, the Jitterbug range includes paintings of cows, piglets, sheepdogs and lambs, whales, dolphins, dinosaurs, tractors, rocket ships, caterpillars, butterflies and flowers, dragons, seals, unicorns, entire fairy land wallscapes and dinosaurs.

My sister and I have suggested chickens, roosters, fairies, dump trucks, seahorses, lady birds....the possibilities are endless. And as soon as we give an idea to Dad, off he goes to the studio to start another painting! (A few years ago we had a little sheltie called Penny. She was a very sweet pup, quiet and unobtrusive. However, we discovered one day that she liked Dad's studio when she appeared wearing half an oil painting...needless to say, Dad dries his finished creations inside the house now...)

The beautiful thing is, you can buy a print in several different ways. If, for example, you live overseas or interstate, we could post you a rolled-up unframed canvas, no worries. If you wished to have a canvas stretched on a frame, we can do that for you. Or, you might choose to have your picture framed in a more traditional manner, with a white-painted wooden frame. The choice is yours.

The other bonus is that if you were after an original painting, done just for you, Dad is more than able to take commissions (unashamed flogging here, people!!) And this is where the really, really exciting part comes in. Let's just say you wanted the rocket ship (because goodness knows I do!) If you sent us a photo of your cherub (or came into the gallery - we could have a chai latte together...or the tavern is right next door...Lucy, Maxabella, Mrs. Woog, Casey - I'm looking at you!), Dad could paint a portrait of your child peeking out of the window of the rocket! Or driving a train...or in the middle of a flower....how adorable is that?

When you visit the gallery website, take a gander at the painting of Maisie's name. Dad has painted the letters of her name as though they are flowers growing out of the soil. It is absolutely the most darling painting, and she loves it - the pointing becomes quite feverish when the Mouse spies her special picture! We haven't done a boys' version yet - but we were thinking of doing a train. What do you reckon?

Anyhow, enough from me - you really need to check it out for yourself. We'll be featuring in a local magazine very shortly, but until then - visit http://www.ronroachgallery.com.au/gallery/childrens-art and scroll through some of the paintings on offer from my very talented Dad. And most importantly - let me know when you have had a look. We need feedback! And suggestions - if you are setting up your very first nursery, or pimping up the one you already have, or redecorating your child's room as they grow - what would you want on your walls? What could we paint for you?

6 comments:

Ron said...

I agree with everything you've written Sal-Pal. Well said!! Your Dad xx

Kate said...

Yay! So glad you guys are doing this. Have long wished I had a kidlet of my own, just so I could have one of Ron's paintings. Maybe I should just get one for myself?!
Will promote shamelessly to all my friends instead...

Sange said...

Love it Sal!
I've posted a link to the business on my facebook page.
Wishing you all success! xx

Tenille @ Help!Mum said...

Congratulations! What and exciting adventure; best of luck with it all.

Romina Garcia said...

Wishing you all the best in your new venture!

MultipleMum said...

Great stuff Sally! Your Dad is very talented. I love the name painting best (Maisie is such a pretty name though and looks fabulous as flowers). Will suggest to friends (not buying this year as you know!) x