Sunday, July 24, 2011

The 200th non-event

Just a quick note before I pop off tonight. It's the last night of this year's Tour de France, you see, and after three weeks of late nights I'm a bit pooped. I stayed up last night to watch Cadel's triumphant time trial (which made sense, really, since I had a husband running between the telly in the loungeroom and the telly in the bedroom, barely able to contain himself. Not to make him sound effeminate or anything, but there was hand flapping. I kid you not.)

Anyhow, Cadel is already cruising steadily along in a Schleck sandwich, heading towards the Champs Elysee and the winner's podium. Christian and I have both been planning our lessons for tomorrow with one eye on the bikes. But I am so tired, my one eye on the telly is rapidly becoming my only open eye, so I am going to turn in. Otherwise my Grade Fives might be met by a snoozing Mrs. O'Toole tomorrow. Ha.

I don't really have anything spectacular to tell you today. Went to swimming lessons this morning. Jack's fingernail came off (did I mention how his little finger met the door of Grandpa's safe? No? Oh. Well, it did. And it was messy, to say the least. The nail lifted up due to the biggest blood blister known to man and hovered there for a week. We called it "the finger of doom". Then the finger burst in the staffroom at my new place of employment, while I was meeting the staff for the first time. Someone thought Jack had tomato sauce slathered on his potato chips. There was no sauce. Then it shriveled (the finger, not the sauce), and grew brown and manky. And today it fell off. Nice?!?!)

Um, sorry, right - swimming lessons, finger of doom fell off. Quiet afternoon at home (translation: kids played frenetically in a small space because of rain and washing strung everywhere; Christian tried to do work at kitchen table - not sure how successful that was - and I cooked three meals to cover my days at work.) Took the dogs for a walk in the rain. Maisie was so delighted to be outside in the rain that she didn't try to pull her beanie off once. Jack held Daisy's lead the whole way and was mightily chuffed with himself. Archibald practised being a gentleman.

Bath time.
Dinner time.
Story time.
Bed time.

Cleaned the kitchen; made the lunches; packed the bags; laid out the clothes; prepared the spelling words for tomorrow's lesson.

Sat and surveyed the destruction  toys distributed throughout the house. Observed three baskets of unfolded washing. Thought about it. Decided they wouldn't hurt anyone if left alone for another day.

Had a cup of tea and opened my laptop to check things out before bed. Realised that this would be my 200th post. Then realised I had nothing of note to say.

So now I really am off to bed. I am going to trust Cadel to make it safely to the finish line without me being conscious. At this point, I'm not sure my eyes will be prised open before recess tomorrow. But with any luck, tomorrow will be super-duper interesting so that I might actually have a story to tell you. Or not.

2 comments:

Casey said...

Happy 200th!!!! Love the finger of doom! Gerty had one of those when it got slammed in Daddys car door - eeewwwww. It even grew a funny shaped nail when it grew back - talk about scarring children for life!
Back to you though... Mwah xoxo Happy 200th! Not sure how I would enjoy my computer time wiithout Team O'Toole!

I'm So Fancy said...

I live in constant fear of the finger of doom...we've had many a near miss but thus far have escaped...