Saturday, December 31, 2011

Goodbye 2011

Ok, 2011, let's you and me have a little chat.

The thing is, I think our relationship has run its course. And now it's time to say goodbye, and I can't say I'm overly upset. Sorry to be blunt, but that's just how it is.

Now, before you start getting all defensive, there have been some good times with you. I'm adult enough to admit that I'm glad we spent some time together, and I have learned a lot from you.

For example, I learned that it is entirely possible to endure an Easter without eating chocolate, a Christmas without eating much at all, and a New Year's Eve without a single drop of alcohol passing my lips. Not that I didn't enjoy myself, oh no. Thanks to the extraordinary twists and turns that my insides have seen this year, I am now well on my way to writing a book titled, "Lose Weight The Easy Way: Simply Don't Eat" Or possibly, "How To Imbibe So Many Prescription Drugs That Alcohol Is An Unattractive Option". Fun, fun, fun, that's me!

I also learned that it is entirely possible to stare (on a daily basis) at a building site for 12 months, without managing to accurately send telepathic messages to the builders on said site (although, I'm pretty sure they can't really be called "builders", because surely you have to actually build something to earn that title? Perhaps we could call them "stand-arounderers"? Or "time-wasters"? Or simply "able-to-stuff-up-the-simplest-house-construction-known-to-mankind"???)

I have learned that is is very, very easy to become bitter and twisted, if you let yourself. So I have spent a considerable amount of time this year, NOT becoming bitter and twisted, but rather laughing at certain circumstances (which, in turn, gave many people the justifiable conclusion that I have finally cracked...)

I have learned that nurses, no matter where you are, are wonderful creatures who should be feted and adored.

I have learned that children are extremely adaptable. My children have spent a considerable amount of time this year playing around me while I lolled uselessly on the couch (or the floor, or in bed). Once they were satisfied that I was, in fact, ok, they would happily play near me, next to me or on me. They didn't give a fiddler's fart that the house was untidy, that the washing was piled up, that the pantry was rather bare...and after a while, neither did I.

I have learned that even at the grand old age of 35, I still need my mum and dad. I also need my siblings, my grandparents, my aunties and uncles, my cousins, my parents-in-law, my brothers-in-law. My extended family keeps getting bigger, which is awesome because it just means there's more love.

I have learned that being an aunty rocks. I am so excited to be Asha's aunty that I still do a little jump and a squeal when I see her. Perhaps I should be ashamed at the ickle baby voice that comes out of my mouth when I'm with her, but I'm not. I love the fact that my kids have a cousin. I adore the fact that Jack loves Asha "so much, Mummy, that it just doesn't stop". I am tickled by the fact that the Mouse calls her "Shatter". I am so proud, watching Phoebalina cradle her little cousin like a pro.

I have learned that there aren't many husbands in the world better than mine. I'm quite fond of him. He likes to joke about phoning Galbally, the divorce lawyers, whenever I do something stupid. I just remind him that we got married in a Catholic church, so divorce isn't an option - he'll have to kill me instead. Since he spent a lot of time keeping me alive this year, I reckon he's just bluffing. I think he's quite fond of me, too.

So you see, 2011, this year hasn't been all bad. Maisie learned to walk, talk and shout. Jack completed his first year at school, making lots of new friends and begging to go to school during the holidays. Phoebe did lots and lots of drawing, dancing and fluttering in her fairy dress. Archie grew from a teeny tiny puppy to a great, big, lanky, bouncy doggy. Daisy endured Archie's love with lots of doggy-sighs (and a fair few growls). Ernie and Bella learned when to run from Maisie's declarations of love and 'tuddles'.

But when midnight strikes in about an hour and a half, I'll be waiting for 2012 with open arms. Because I am hoping 2012 delivers a few things that you didn't, 2011. With any luck, 2012 will bring me a completed home I can actually physically move in to. I've only been waiting since early 2010, surely it's not a big ask? 2012 will also bring Christian another year at Woodleigh, a school that has made him happier than I've ever seen him. It might bring me some more surgery, but I'm ready for that. It can only be a good thing. 2012 will bring me a two year old, a five year old and a six year old - bring it on, I say!! And with any luck, it might also bring me a job...*crosses fingers and scrinches eyes closed tight*

I can only hope that 2012 is a good one, for all of us. At this point, poised on the brink between December 31 and January 1, the possibilities are endless. The proverbial slate is clean. The resolutions are strong. The wishes for a happy, healthy new year are many.

And so I bid you adieu, 2011. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

2 comments:

I'm So Fancy said...

Happy New Year! May 2012 deliver. x

Unknown said...

Absolutely! Bring on 2012!