Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Archie

This is Archie.

Notice how he is asleep?

Apparently, he is an excellent sleeper. During the day time.

Last night, he decided that I was the puppy love of his life, and his little puppy heart couldn't take the pain of separation. So he made the biggest puppy noise I have ever heard a puppy make in the history of puppies. For three hours.

Which is how he ended up in a crate, in my bedroom, next to my bed. With my hand next to his nose, so he could stop hyperventilating and GO TO SLEEP.

We managed four and a half broken hours of shut-eye last night, punctuated with wee-wees outside on the grass, in the rain. I was very proud. He is a very fast whizzer when it's cold and rainy.

He must have been wrecked after last night, because he has slept nearly all day today. Little bugger. I didn't have that luxury. All I could do was solider on, and then marvel at his cuteness when he graced us with his consciousness.

I tried valiantly to take a photo of his face, but the camera was very lick-able, and every time I approached him he tried to kiss both me and the lens. Given that he had been an excellent helper earlier in the day, and had 'cleaned' out the cat litter tray for me, I didn't really want a kiss. Can you blame me?

So I took a photo of the little blighter sleeping. Who would have thought someone so angelic-looking could be such a devil at bedtime? (Oh, wait. You've met my kids, right? Yep.)

And do you know what? I know he'll probably keep me up again tonight. Being eight weeks old, it's inevitable, really. And he'll probably do a few more whizzes on the carpet. Possibly a poop. Scratch the door. Chew the carpet. You can't blame the poor thing - after all, he's just copying the kids.

I suppose it's obvious, but I'll say it anyway - I am completely and utterly in love with adorable, addictive, amazing Archie. One wag of his skinny little puppy tail, and I'm mush. Sigh.

3 comments:

ANB said...

I say it to Eli and I say it to the cat and I will repeat it to your lovely puppy: good thing you are cute! Hope you all get some sleep tonight :)

Casey said...

I do not and can not believe you! Your children ARE angelic - so too must be this beautiful puppiness Archie (love the name btw). And how good is puppy smell (not when they poop or *ahem* clean out the litter tray) just real new puppy smell. Second only to new born baby smell. Mmmm puppy love xo

Anonymous said...

I had to search your archives to find this (via Rewind). Ahh, puppies and newborns ... so cute, sooo noisy! He's beautiful. Love a border collie. I have sweet spot for working dogs.
Happy Easter! :)