Friday, April 22, 2011

Buddhist Philosophies on Good Friday

I've probably mentioned a few times already my children's propensity for asking the same question every morning: "What are we doing today, Mum?" Every. Single. Morning.

Usually, we're doing something, or going somewhere, or having someone come to us. As with most families of little people, a day spent entirely at home is not ideal if one wishes to avoid the two o'clock maddies. On those rare, blissful days when we have nothing at all written in coloured pen on the calendar (and I am secretly delighted that I don't need to do anything but potter), the kids are always slightly suspicious. As though I am keeping a truly amazing activity from them.

"What are we doing today, Mum?"
"Nothing. Just staying at home."
"So who's coming to visit then?"
"No one. It's just us today."
"So where are we going?"
And so on, and so forth. They are always incredulous that their mother may actually intend on staying within the realms of the house and garden FOR THE ENTIRE DAY. Amazing, I know.

Being Good Friday today, the conversation this morning was almost funny. We went through the usual conversation (see above), with the added source of puzzlement stemming from a belief that in the school holidays, we would at the very least have a trip to the cafe for a coffee. (I dunno where they get that one, honestly. Probably from their dad.)

"Where are we going today, Mum?"
"I told you. Nowhere."
"But why?"
"Because it's Good Friday, and everything is closed."

Now, religion in our house is a funny thing. My Catholic-raised husband is a practising Buddhist, authorised to teach meditation. I am Anglican on paper, who has never gone to church, believes in reincarnation, the afterlife, and being a good person during this lifetime. So it would be fair to say that our kids are not quite au fait with the Bible (with absolutely no disrespect intended, Phoebe calls him "Jeebus". Need I say more?)

Given that I had just told my two big kids that all of the shops, petrol stations, play centres (*gasp*), Old MacDonalds, and trams (?) were closed today, they wanted to know why. Fair question. "Remember when I told you the story of Jesus?", I asked. "Yes! Jeebus!" cried Phoebe eagerly. "Well, this is a special day for people to remember the work he did. For us, it's a nice day to spend together. It's a good time for families to stay at home and play games." "And all the shops have no people in them?" asked Jack. "That's right. And there's no trams." replied the Ballerina, nodding her head sagely.

I know I won't win any points for my theological discussion with a five year old and a three year old, but they were satisfied. And when they went for a walk with Daddy later, and observed the quiet streets and closed newsagents, Jack reminded Phoebe that it was "Foot Day". "No," said Daddy gently, "Good Friday."

And it was. It was a great Friday. Hot cross buns, and playing with Archie and Daisy in the sun, and building Lego, and eating lunch together. Drawing Easter drawings, and sticking Easter stickers, and counting the sleeps until Easter Bunny comes. Spreading toys everywhere, and getting ironing done, and washing flapping in the breeze. An early warm bath, and books on the couch, and cuddles at bedtime. It was a fantastic Friday. Even if the shops were all closed.

3 comments:

Glow said...

I was raised Catholic but am now atheist but try to live by Buddhist teachings... so this sounds like an awesome Easter to me.
I'm very tempted to wish you and yours a Happy Zombie Jesus day for Sunday :P

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

Foot day! Love it. Have a great Easter!

Thanks for Rewinding at the Fibro.

Anonymous said...

Lots of excellent reading here, many thanks! I was browsing on yahoo when I observed your submit, I’m going to add your feed to Google Reader, I look forward to additional from you.