Thursday, December 9, 2010

Let the wild rumpus start

We have never been one of those families with babies who walk early. Somewhere along the way I heard that children either walk early, or talk early. All three members of Team O'Toole would apparently be early talkers. Now, anyone who knows my lovely husband and I would hardly be surprised by this news! I acknowledge that I am a Mrs. Have-a-chat, and Christian is not shy, either. Both of us are teachers. Enough said.

When Jack was about 10 months old, I remember sitting at a mothers' group morning tea and watching all the other little boys run or stagger around madly, while my blonde little cherub sat placidly beside my chair (I was exceptionally seedy with morning sickness at this point in time, so I was pretty grateful that I didn't have to chase anybody anywhere!) Being my first baby, I'll admit I was a little worried that my boy was the only child not dashing wildly about. Jack's lack of mobility was commented on by the other mums, especially the fact that he wasn't even crawling at the ripe old age of 10 months. I just smiled and shrugged, but inside I was a tad concerned that Jack would sit still forever (a completely unfounded concern - he hasn't sat still since June 2007...) Jack eventually crawled backwards (after a very long time of lying on his tummy and flapping his arms and legs wildly), crawled forwards for only a few weeks, and then got up one day and walked across the room when he was 14 months old. What I didn't particularly notice as being unusual at the time was that at 10 or 11 months, my son was already using recognisable words, and that his vocabulary was developing at an astonishing rate. It wasn't until Jack entered daycare that I realised that he spoke much more than the other two year olds, and that he was understood by most adults. Sure, he had never been a climber or one to run away from me, but to be truthful I was a bit relieved about that!

Phoebe was also a very placid baby, taking her sweet time to roll over and sit up. I wasn't particularly concerned about her progress, as Jack had taught me that it all happens eventually, so I relaxed a fair bit with Phoebs. Just like Jack, she showed no inclination to go anywhere until around 10 months, at which point she turned her little nose up at traditional crawling and began bum-shuffling. She was remarkably fast, and used her legs, knees and little tushie to wriggle across the floor. She eventually learned to crawl, but I think the fact she could see everything whilst sitting up and shuffling along on her cherries meant that this was her preferred method of movement. Phoebalina also went from crawling to walking in a very short period of time, and was staggering around the room at 14 months, just like Jack. Unlike her big brother, Phoebalicious started speaking understandable words at 8 months...and no, she hasn't stopped yet!

Miss Maisie Mouse has already defied expectations - after two 'easy' babies, I was warned I was in for a screamer third time around. She rarely cried. After two 'good' sleepers, I was warned she'd never sleep. She slept through at 5 weeks. Now, of course during her little lifetime, Maisie has both cried and had bad nights where she wouldn't sleep. But on the whole, when she's not teething or sick, she is happy and contented and so, so easy. And to be honest, life is so busy with three kidlets that I have not had time to think about Maisie's developmental milestones. She's eating, putting on weight, and laughs. What's to worry about?

Generally speaking, Maisie is turning out just like her big brother and sister, with her own little twist on the popular theme. Early talking? Check. Since 6 months old we have been hearing little words like Dad-dad, Mum-mum, hello, and other baby-words that she uses for food (na-na) and Jack (Ja!) When she started rolling, I just assumed that she would start crawling or bum-shuffling around 10 months like the others. But no. Maisie is still rolling (rapidly, with cunning and gusto) and I have given up explaining to people that no, she's not walking yet (or even close to looking like it), but since she won't shut up we haven't really had time to worry about it (and mind your own beeswax, thank you very much!) Imagine our excitement this morning, when the Mouse saw a ball she REALLY wanted, and the knees went up, and she reached out, and......smack down on her tummy again. This time, however, instead of rolling away, she commando-crawled in the most uncoordinated way I have ever witnessed, and SHE GOT THE BALL!!!!!! Woohoo for Maisie!!!! Now, I want you to understand that I really don't care when or if Miss Mouse crawls. It's hectic enough around here without more movement!! (remember, two bedroom unit, three kids, one broken husband, two cats, one dog...) But I was absolutely delighted for my baby, as she has for some time now watched the other two run past her with a wild look of envy in her beautiful blue eyes.

I realise that, in the next few days or weeks, when she does get up on all fours and crawl triumphantly towards the nearest dangerous object, that I will need to go into baby-proofing overload. As it is, things around here are already looking a little bare as we put more and more things up out of reach. But isn't it exciting when they learn how to join in on the action? I love a crawling baby - there's something about that wiggly little bum in the air that makes me want to grab it and kiss it!!! And then it won't belong before she works out how to walk, and sprint...and then I'll just have to follow the stream of chatter that flows behind my baby as she runs wildly with the other kids. Go Maisie Mouse, go!

1 comment:

beingbree said...

Awwww Go Maisie!!! Can't wait to see you and Kayde playing together next week!!! I bet your big brother and sister don't open doors and try and coax you outside though now do they??? I'll let Kayde tell you all about his near escapes!