Thursday, December 2, 2010

Absence makes the heart grow fonder (and the blogger go loopy)

If absence makes the heart grow fonder, then my heart is overflowing with love for my blog right now!! Oh, how my fingers have itched for my laptop over the last few weeks (that sounds a bit wrong, actually...). There have been hundreds of times in the last month that I have been desperate to write a quick anecdote about something cute...or disgusting...or funny...or completely unbelievable...but as you all know, we moved house and it has taken until today to get a modem in the house. So. Here I sit, with a four year old on the couch because he can't sleep while Maisie Mouse screams with indignation (mean Mummy won't let her stay up and watch crappy non-ratings telly), surrounded by washing, tinsel and pets, blissfully tap-tap-tapping on my pink laptop (did I never mention it was pink?? Of course it is!! Why would it be any other colour??) Do you really want to know what has happened since our last conversation? Or do I just really need to blurt it all out...??

Well. Last time we spoke, Team O'Toole was about to move out of the in-law's and into a rental. We moved on the Saturday of Cup weekend (you know, the day that absolutely POURED with record-breaking amounts of rain), and to be honest I thought we did a pretty good job of things. The kids thought having all three of them in one bedroom was awesome, we got our pussy cats and puppy dog back (oh yes, there are other members of Team O'Toole - furry ones!!) and somehow we managed to fit three kids, two parents, one dog and two cats into a two-bedroom unit. Not bad.

On the Sunday, we went to my Pa's 90th birthday and had a lovely day with all the aunties and uncles and cousins. My beautiful Pa was surrounded by his (rather large and noisy!) family, and it was so nice to share such a special birthday. Even though Christian had to work on the Monday, we were looking forward to Cup Day, when we planned to spend the day as a family setting up our new home. So I spent the Monday cleaning and packing with the three kids in tow, and you know how much you achieve when you're stopping every ten minutes to make a snack or break up squabbles, or wipe a bottom...

On the Tuesday we received a phone call that turned the world on its' head. The school we both work at, where so many of our friends are, where we love the students, had gone into administration and would be closing. Christian had to leave me and the kids, and drive into work on a public holiday to begin phoning staff to tell them they were unemployed. I bawled, blew my nose (I'm a very ugly crier), and drove to the in-law's to keep cleaning and packing. My own unemployed status was a strange feeling, because I've been on maternity leave all this year. In one fell swoop, I lost my job, and an entire school community of friends, collegues and students - and as I was not physically present at the school during this time, a lot of people seemed to think I wouldn't mind very much. Let me say this - I mind. A lot.

Naturally, everyone involved in the school was very upset, to say the least. Christian was devastated, but had to keep soldiering on for the sake of his students and staff at the school, and for us at home. After a week of copping it on the chin (and the rest of it, but I won't go into the gory details), a year of stress and illness came crashing down on my darling boy's head, and he went to hospital with chest pains. The doctors called it a 'warning', a precursor to a heart attack if you like. One thing was for certain - stress put my husband in a hospital bed, and has kept him out of action for over three weeks now.

We have some truly incredible friends who have helped us so much in the last few weeks. You know who you are. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. (And Gertrude, don't think our girls' weekend in the city has missed out - I'm saving that for a blog all of its' own!!)  Truly, if I have learned anything in the last month, it's that even when I am blurry with lack of sleep, worried to the point of feeling ill, guilty from feeding my children tinned spaghetti (again), and simply trying to get through a messy day, my friends are the greatest. I am so lucky.

So here we are, in December. Thankfully, Christian has a job for next year, and is slowly making a recovery (by napping more than a newborn - seriously, the boy gets tired having a shower!) I have spent the last few weeks trying to keep the kids on an even keel, especially my great big 35 year old kid who has been at home on doctor's orders. Jack has been getting ready for Big School next year - I have half a mind to video him on the mornings we go to Transition at his new primary school, just to show him when he's 15 how excited he once was...Phoebalina Ballerina is officially wearing undies now and has recognisable hair. Seriously, she makes me 'do' her hair every morning, and has definite opinions about the colour of elastic band I may or may not use! And Maisie Mouse? She is completely in love with the cats and dogs, and has a breathy little high-pitched voice just for them (they are all called "Da", apparently...) She rolls everywhere like a champion, and can get into any tight space. Maisie can identify and hone in on any dangerous or prohibited item, and have it in her dainty little paws in less than a minute. All with a devilish grin on her face. I am waiting for the Christmas tree to fall victim...

Oh, thank you for letting me get that off my chest. I feel lighter already!! And so the daily blog resumes...
PS. I'd love to know what you've all been up to. It's been mighty lonely without a modem to keep me warm...

2 comments:

beingbree said...

Thank you thank you thank you for sharing... I knew something was up but had no idea what. please let me know if there is anything at all I can do - I have sent you a private FB message too.
Oh how I have missed reading this blog. My favourite of them all... I will now be motivated to get back into mine lol
My heart goes out not only to all the hardworking staff who now have the onerous task of finding work but to the students who have the daunting task of starting at new schools!

Melinda @ Here We Go Loopy Lou said...

Oh Sal, I had noticed you were absent online, but I had no idea. Huge hugs and kisses to you, Christian, Jack, Phoebe and Maisie. If there is anything we can ever do, please yell out xxx