Monday, December 27, 2010

Maisie Mouse's First Christmas

What a fantastic Christmas!

Team O'Toole were thoroughly spoiled by Santa Claus - Jack received his longed-for Buzz Lightyear Duplo, and Phoebalina was speechless when she unwrapped her pink scooter. Maisie couldn't give a hoot about her presents, but the wrapping paper on the floor was pure heaven, apparently!! After they had thoroughly dissected the contents of their sacks, they gave each other little gifts they had chosen last week - it was very cute to watch. Jack and Phoebs both thought Maisie was very clever to go shopping to buy them such excellent toys! By the time we had unwrapped those infuriating plastic-covered wire thingys from each and every toy and assembled racing tracks and Duplo, it was time for a late breakfast and for Mummy to start assembling the dishes that had been cooked the night before...

We were off to my aunty's for Christmas lunch, and my family were all coming across the bay on the ferry. Luckily for us, we were only a car trip away, so after putting together a potato salad and a fancy-schmancy pannettone dessert, we dressed the kids in 'good' clothes and took off to collect my brother and his girlfriend from the ferry. I managed to keep Maisie relatively clean by not dressing her until the last minute, but she still managed to collect the floor on her dress! Little grot. Thankfully, the kids had a sleep in the car so by the time we arrived at Aunty Chrissy's place, they were refreshed and raring to party.

We had a beautiful, relaxed day - drinkies and nibblies outside in the sun, a BBQ lunch, and the chance to actually sit and talk to my brother and sister, their partners, my parents, Argie, my aunty and uncle and my two cousins. The kids were spoiled rotten with attention by my cousins. I used to see them almost weekly when they were little, but now we live so far away I don't get to catch up very often. They are two funny, lovely boys who I get along with really well, and Jack and Phoebs are completely in love with them. They played with the kids pretty much all day, while Maisie Mouse was doted on by an array of grown-ups. All three kids received so many presents it was ridiculous!!! Spoiled rotten doesn't even begin to cover it. But there was not a temper tantrum or nasty word to be seen or heard anywhere, and I had the best day imaginable.

By the time we packed them up to go home, the kids (and Christian, who had a terrible migraine by this point) were completely knackered, so I drove home with Bing Crosby singing carols for company, while my team snored around me. After a late night of packing, we reluctantly left Ocean Grove on Boxing Day to come back to reality...and that is where I am now. Surrounded by the reality of washing that needs to be folded and put away, cats with their noses out of joint from being in the cattery, the entire contents of Toys'R'Us on the floor of a two-bedroom unit begging to know where it is all going to go...luckily we spent today at a second Christmas lunch with Christian's family, so I didn't need to think about reality for another few hours!! But now the turkey hangover has begun, and I am surrounded by the debris of too much yuletide cheer...I wonder if there are any mince pies left?

No comments: