Wednesday, May 4, 2011

When Maisie Met Bunny

Sometimes it's easy to be grateful. To be nice, and kind, and generous. At other times, well, it's more difficult to count your blessings. I try to remember the good things in my life every day. Some times it comes more easily than others. After all, I am human, not a stretch-marked fembot.

During the last few days, it has been very, very easy to be grateful. And, as a result, the sun has seemed warmer, the breezes more gentle, and my propensity for laughing at my own silly mummy moments less tinged with dark sarcasm.

I have actually been so busy over the last couple of days that my blog has been neglected severely. Despite a terrible case of itchy bloggy fingers, I think I have survived the drought admirably (although my psychologist might beg to differ...)

So without boring you stoopid with the minutiae of my domestic dynamics, here is a summary of the last few days:

Sunday:
Grateful to my lovely hubby, who whisked me off to Southland for the afternoon. We perved on things we'd love to buy (and bought my birthday present - spoiled rotten, I am!) while the car wash people downstairs detailed my filthy car. Maisie kept a large crowd entertained by stagger-running in circles while wearing her squeaky shoes, followed closely by her minions (aka Jack and Phoebe). By Sunday evening, I had a sparkling clean, lovely-smelling car, tired and happy kids, and I had managed to avoid housework for an entire day.

Monday:
Grateful to my mum, who took Jack into her classroom early while I herbed off to the vet with poor old Daisy dog. She was in a really bad way, but thankfully the vet gave her some lovely sleepy-byes pain relief. The dear old thing slept the day away in a quiet house, and I was certainly very relieved that difficult decisions were not needed on this particular Monday morning.

Grateful to my baby sister, who went shopping with me and the Mouse (after dropping Daisy dog at home, obviously!) Miffy is six years younger than me. She is smart, gorgeous, kind, funny, and has the most incredible knack with animals. And is fantastic company. Neither of us had any money, so we spent very little time actually shopping, but a WHOLE lot of time yacking. I doubt either of us drew breath the whole day, we had so much to talk about. I don't see my sister often enough. I loves her to pieces. And very soon, we will have two strollers with us when we go window shopping. I am so excited, I might burst.

Grateful to the Mouse, who discovered how fun it is to breakdance in front of the mirrors in the changerooms inside Bras N Things. She had all the sales assistants chuckling as she grooved her way around the shop. And then...we went into Bed Bath and Table, and Maisie spied the love of her life. There was a pink patchwork bunny on a low shelf, which obviously beckoned to my daughter in a particularly alluring manner, because she snatched it and ran straight for the front door, laughing fit to burst. (Bunny is now safely ensconced in her arms, in her cot, because after she licked it I had to buy it...) I would be very grateful if you didn't judge my parenting based on this particular story.

Tuesday:
Grateful that no one could see my increasingly grumpy visage after the Ballerina asked 6845 questions. All within four seconds of my (exasperated) answers. Seriously, the child was asking me why the road was straight. And why I was making her lunch (after she had asked me to make it). And why Archie was black and white. And why we weren't going to get Jack from school (it was 9.05am). And could she have a pink birthday cake (this one I get asked every day. Her birthday is in September, for chrissakes!!) And could she have a snack. And why is that man walking. And why is that car red. Oh. My. Goodness. I am so very, very grateful that my Phoebe is adorable. Otherwise she may have been asking why Mummy was curling into the foetal position.

Wednesday:
Grateful for having vertical blinds. They hid one almighty disaster until I got home at lunchtime.

Grateful to my friend Kate who held a Tupperware fundraiser this morning. There were Tupperware parties held all over Australia today to raise money for the Breast Cancer Foundation. As the daughter of a breast cancer survivor, I am grateful to anyone who lends a hand to this almighty effort. I am also grateful to my boy, who not only did not object to a few new objects of Tupper-desire being acquired, but who also ordered the specific item being spruiked today to raise funds for breast cancer research. And it's pink.

Grateful to Dora the Explorer, who kept my girls transfixed while I attacked the shameful mess behind my curtains.

Grateful that I have no visitors tomorrow, because the mess is still largely intact.

Grateful for Masterchef. Need I explain? (It gives me an excuse to use my Tupper-goodies!!)

Grateful for my bed, which beckons my very, very tired bones. (and crossing my fingers that Archie will be grateful for the time spent wrestling with him already, and will go to sleep immediately without needing wee-wee breaks in the wee small hours...hahaha.)

5 comments:

deux chiens et un garcon said...

I loved reading all of this. A real treat.

Jodie Ansted said...

Loved all your gratefuls. You did well finding so much to be grateful for.

And I think it's totally ok to take a break from the old blog on occasion. Sometimes does all the world of good!

Denyse Whelan. said...

I am a (retired) teacher married to a (retired) teacher with a daughter (teacher) engaged to a teacher and a son re-training to be a teacher...get the connections with you already...
just grateful to have found your blog...thanks Maxabella.
Am now following your blog...loved the Maisie story.
I'm blogging at memoriesbydenyse,
Have a great mother's day! D XX

thatblogyoudo said...

Your newest follower on the blog hop from maxbella, hope you have a Lovely mothers day and your right about looking at life more positively, everything seems to brighten up :-)

Anonymous said...

Please check your spam folder for my comment :-) from courtney @ thatblogyoudo