Friday, May 6, 2011

More candles than Molly Ringwald

Yesterday, there were 35 candles on my birthday cake. I would have loved a cake just like Molly Ringwald's, with only 16 candles atop....but alas. I am considerably older than the flame-haired beauty in my favourite birthday movie.

There were whispered questions and the rustling of wrapping paper in the dark of the early morn ("Daddy, is it Mummy's birthday, or Mother's Day? Which present do I give her?")

There were pyjama-ed bottoms and wrinkly, sleepy parents, all together in the big bed, smiling and hugging and unwrapping. The birthday card made me weepy, just a little bit. It had drawings of Mummy, Daddy, Jack, Phoebe and Maisie on it. Jack had written his name. Phoebe had written a 'P'.

There was the usual school rush of uniforms and Weetbix and toast and teeth brushed and nappies changed and shoes on and lunchboxes packed and seat belts strapped on.

There was a visit to the supermarket, and washing to be pegged out, and vacuuming.

There was folding and tidying and wiping and playing. It's amazing how therapeutic it is playing dollies, in the sunshine on the floor.

There was a friend's fifth birthday party after school at a play centre. Kids running everywhere, dressed in fancy dress; cake; chips; general mayhem. Mummies at a table, many coffees consumed.

There was a drive home in late traffic with tired, partied-out kids.

There was a surprise waiting at home, in the shape of Daddy with party hats, whistles, a banner, pizza and birthday cake. There was also a gorgeous arrangement of lilies - my favourite. I reckon my husband's a keeper.

There was another trip in the car, this time to puppy school. Archie sat behind me and watched the other puppies. He might be bolshy at home, but at school he's a bit of a scaredy-pup. I love taking Arch to his lessons, but I always come home smelling like doggy breath.

There was a second piece of ice-cream cake on the couch, a cup of tea, and my beloved.

There was the realisation that 35 candles might mean fewer champagne cocktails and enormous parties, but it can also mean love on tap. Babies, kidlets, hubbys, puppies...even the pussy cats gave me birthday love. Not to mention the messages on Facebook, the phone calls, the birthday cards in the letterbox.

And tonight, there was dinner with my family. Which meant more love, more hugs, and more cake! A double-cake birthday? I'll take as many candles as you can throw at me!

1 comment:

I'm So Fancy said...

Happy Birthday! If it makes you feel better, Molly now has a whole lot more candles than you!! And who wants a black trans am anymore? ha. hope you had fun. x