Thursday, May 19, 2011

Kisses for Sange and Kerry

A long, long time ago, in a land far away....well, actually, not really. What I meant to say was, a long, long time ago, in a place just up the road and round the bend, I went to high school with a bunch of awesome girls (and boys too, but the girls were awesomer).

And we all grew up and did exciting things like university, and travelling, and different jobs, and meeting people, and after a while, a few of us decided that the place where we grew up was quite nice after all, and moved back here to raise our families. (I suppose like all teenagers, I couldn't wait to get away from the small town I was a teenager in to see the big bad world. And after I had done that, I worked out that my parents had in fact chosen an awesome place to have a family, and tried to move back there. Only to find out that real estate prices in the noughties was a com-plete-ly different ball game to the late 80's...)

Apart from living in a beautiful area abounding in family-friendly facilities, one of the biggest perks of moving back to the old stamping ground is that so many of my high school girlfriends are here as well, with tribes of sprogs the same age as my own. After living in Pakenham with very few friends closer than a 30 minute drive, this is a luxury I am taking full advantage of. And this week, two of my girls very near saved my life, without a shadow of a doubt.

The bright point of my day on Tuesday (the day of the drive-thru naughty chippies??) was a morning play date with my friend Sandra and her beautiful kidlets, Lauren and James. While Sange, the Mouse and I played in Fisher-Price heaven near the warmth of the wood heater, Phoebalina whooped it up outside on the jumping castle with Lauren (her new BFF) and little James. I was completely envious of Sandra's back yard, because the kids played on swings and the trampoline and the jumping castle to their hearts' content, all the while absolutely safe and having a ball. Meanwhile, we had a good old chin wag and consumed an enormous substantial lovely morning tea. I'm sure Sange didn't realise it at the time, but she was brightening an otherwise fairly average day. And boy, did she do a marvellous job!!! So thank you Sange, for giving Phoebs, the Mouse and I a gorgeous morning. You're a gem!

After the school drop-off this morning, I traipsed across country once again to visit the beautiful Kerry and her divine littlest girly, Ava. Kez has just moved back into the area after being away from us for a very, very long time - and to say we are delighted is an understatement. My girls and I explored Kerry's new house, which has the most exquisite lead light windows, and huge, rambling garden complete with envy-inducing vegetable garden and fruit trees. Phoebe and Ava puddled around together in the garden while Maisie stood at the kids' table, cramming fruit scones in her mouth. I've known Kez since I was 12. She was, and is, one of the calmest, most loving people I have ever met, and I felt myself healing simply being in her presence. The insane night of screaming toddlers, the harried morning, the dead mouse on the doorstep...all fell away standing in Kerry's new kitchen, drinking lovely coffee, eating heavenly orange cake, and chatting. Thank you, Kez. You and Ava made my girls and I very, very happy today.

I realise I've written about my girlfriends before, and how grateful I am for them. But I suppose it's one of the most important elements of a happy life as a stay at home mum - having friends who have not only known you for a long time, but who understand you. Friends who know how lovely it is simply to have company for an hour before the day turns pear-shaped. Friends who have kids who can play with yours, or friends who don't have kids but understand them anyway!! I am so grateful to Sange and Kerry, who put little pockets of sunshine into my week (and kept my girlies entertained to boot!) Thanks girls. Next time, you can come to me. I may not be able to give you a rambling garden or a well-stocked, spacious playground, but I can give you cake. And coffee. And a chat. Which we all know is the best part of a catch-up! xxxxx

10 comments:

Casey said...

Couldn't agree more Sal. Good friends are worth their weight in gold. I must say my friends mean so very much to me and I just hope in some small way I give back to them as much as they give to me :)

Maxabella said...

You are ever so lucky to have such dear friends, Sal. A gang of three is the perfect number too. I loved reading this post about true friends. x

PS - Lucky post man!!! x

Kris said...

Jealous! I would love to have friends live close to us. I also want to try living in a small town. I love the small towns in Australia. It is such a great place to raise kids.

LionessLady said...

A lovely post about friends. Btw - loving your babushkas!

Alice Becomes said...

It makes all the difference to a stay at home mum, you are right!! This is a lovely grateful post to your friends. And you can offer cake, coffee and a chat, for sure the BEST part of a catch up

Gill xo

Maxabella said...

I'm so glad you linked up this sweetheart of a post. x

Renee said...

Sounds lovely! No way you'd catch me moving back to my childhood small town - eeeek! Perhaps my husbands (though then we'd have to move to South Africa so not entirely convinced about that!)

Friends are so special - especially the ones who know exactly who you are and where you come from xx

Niki Hudson said...

This is heartwarming! We gals do need our pals! I wish my best friends live closer--you are truly lucky! Think I'll go call up my best friend now :)

Naturally Carol said...

You have said so engagingly,what I have felt so often being a SAHM for years. There's nothing like a chat over coffee at a friends house with the kids playing happily to lift our spirits and put life in perspective!

Naomi said...

What a lovely post on friendship. I have had the same best friend since we were 10... that's 30 years! While we no longer live in the same state, we know each other so well, and I know she is always there for me.
Friends speak to our hearts don't they!