Friday, October 8, 2010

Speed humps and champagne

Tonight's the night - Mummy and Daddy are leaving Team O'Toole in the capable hands of Grandma and Grandpa and heading out with...wait for it....grown-up friends!!!!! As I'm sure you already know, I have been dealing with a rotten, stinking cold since Tuesday. However I am determined not to let that ruin my night (and besides, it's been so long since I had an alcoholic beverage I reckon I might be a Cadbury's chick tonight...). So the preparations for this evening's festivities have not yet gone quite to plan...I was supposed to deal with a few body-maintenance issues last night but a little lady who woke early for her night feed put paid to that. It did not help that she woke again at 1am and called for room service, leaving me wide awake at 2am!! Why do head colds always feel so much worse at 2am?

So here I am, mid-afternoon, Team O'Toole all fast asleep in their beds. And what have I achieved so far today?
* A shower (excellent start!)
*Clean hair and shaved legs (already waaaay ahead of expectations)
* Folded three baskets of washing, put on two loads of washing (not related to night out, but still necessary!)
* Put Phoebe on the toilet for wees approximately 32 times (why, oh why did I start toilet training yesterday??)
* Cleaned up one accidental poo in the undies (enough said)
* Breastfed Maisie twice (thought I'd top her up before the big separation)
* Cleaned the kitchen after breakfast, morning tea, and lunch (and you probably can't tell anyway)
* Blown my nose approximately 196 times
* Put kids in the naughty spot three times

And now I'm sitting here with an hour and a half before my blow-wave appointment (yes, I'm going all-out tonight!!!!) thinking about all the things I need to do, such as:
*Put away folded washing before Team O'Toole wake up and destroy it
* Hang up wet washing before it dries in the basket and smells funny
* Brush washed hair before going to hairdresser's
* Clean kitchen after afternoon tea
* Breastfeed Maisie again
* Potentially put Phoebe on the toilet for wees every five minutes after she wakes up and remembers the joys of toilet paper
* Blow my nose every three minutes until I have had two champagnes and forget to do it anymore

The question is, will I get through my list this afternoon? Will I go to the ball minus one glass slipper? Will I care about any of this after a few glasses of bubbly? The answers to all these questions and more, coming your way tomorrow. And now - I hear a little voice coming from the nursery...and the voices in my head are getting louder in their clamouring for champagne......

No comments: