Friday, October 22, 2010

Play days (aka ignoring housework)

It's been a funny old week, in more ways than one! Quite clearly I have developed an addiction to blogging, as since my laptop has been sick I have felt a strange itching in my fingers in the evenings which can only be attributed to an absence of typing inane thoughts. It's probably just as well my blogging-capabilities have been curtailed this week, as I have had to begin a new course of medication to treat an old problem. One of the side-effects of this medicine is drowsiness, so I have been popping off to bed much earlier than normal to cope with Maisie Mouse's night feeds. You might ask: how am I blogging right now? Well, it's the middle of the day, so a) the meds are not in effect, b) the kids are either asleep or having "quiet time", and c) I 'borrowed' my mother-in-law's computer!! Never mind I am typing on the kitchen bench surrounded by the debris of lunch. I am blogging. Happy days!!

This week has seen many interesting moments...Maisie Mouse cut a second tooth...we received a date to move into our rental property...Phoebalina started wearing a tiny little top-knot in her (admittedly still wispy) hair...Jack's kinder started preparing for Prep transition...and I have made a rather lovely discovery. Christian and I have moved around quite a bit in the last few years, and this combined with a stint working overseas and living in the city while at uni meant that I lost touch with a lot of high school friends. Through the wonders of Facebook I have found many of them again, and even though we are spread all over the world it's still nice to touch base with them once in a while. However, as I'm sure you know, being an at-home Mummy can be a little bit isolating at times, especially if your closest friends are not so close with regards to location. So I was absolutely delighted to arrange a playdate with two girlfriends I haven't seen since Year 11, and their kidlets. (Seriously, you have no idea how excited we are to move back home. I get bouncy just thinking about it!)

After a pretty awful day behaviour-wise yesterday, I was a little concerned that the girls would see the less-attractive sides of Jack and Phoebe today. No fear. The kids all mucked in together like old mates, and to be truthful I don't think we heard a peep out of any of them, other than when morning tea was put on the table! It was so lovely to see Hayley and Sandra, and to be honest I could have chatted the day away if we didn't have little people to consider. I came away feeling so happy and re-energised, and I can't wait to have another play with them - with or without the kids!!! Haha. It may be a lifetime since high school (and by the by, I drove past our old stamping ground this morning and saw the Year 12's all dressed up for Muck-Up Day - they looked more than a little lost, and so very young!! Actually quite glad it wasn't me having to go through all that again) but it really doesn't matter. What is important during these years raising our children, whether you work or not, is to maintain the links between friends. I receive so much love and support from my friends overseas and throughout Australia simply through the internet, it's just a pity we can't actually be in the same place. I benefit from the same love and support from my friends within travelling distance - the difference is, we can plonk our kids together to play while we catch up!

And now that I have indulged in a morning playdate and the kids are stirring from their naps, there is a kitchen bombsite awaiting my attention...does anyone feel like an afternoon playdate??

No comments: