Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Moving: Part I

What are your Sunday nights normally like? Usually I love Sunday nights - typically I manage to get dinner on the table at an early (ish) hour, we get the team into bed ready for another manic Monday, and then I enjoy the Sunday-night smorgasbord of good telly. At the moment I'm loving Offspring and Junior Masterchef...Sunday nights have previously seen me glued to The Biggest Loser, The Good Wife, you know, that sort of telly. Love it.

This week, however, I was deprived of my usual relaxed evening. Now, it wasn't all bad - I DID get to spend the time with my lovely husband. As you may or may not know, we will be moving into a rental house this week while our dream home is being built. We have been relying on the hospitality of my in-laws since the beginning of the year, but due to ongoing delays with the house build, we decided to find our own digs. Most of our worldly goods and possessions have been holed up in storage since April, and herein lies the problem that faced us on Sunday night. When my beloved packed our entire house into a tiny storage area, he did not anticipate that we would be removing any of the furniture (or other crap) out until we moved into our beautiful, (but increasingly elusive) new home. As such, the few things we will be needing this week when we move into the rental, (such as beds, the fridge, aka stuff we cannot do without!!) were located at the very, very back of the storage room.

So. My lovely man and I decided we would pop down to the storage facility after the team were safely in bed (obviously Grandma and Grandpa would be with them - please don't call DOCS!) and rearrange the furniture to make it easier on Saturday. It was only after we had removed EVERY SINGLE ITEM, that is, our entire house's contents, that it was revealed that the job was bigger than we thought. And so it was that rather than watching Offspring in a recliner, with a cup of tea and a baby clamped to the boob, I found myself steadying furniture while my husband pretended to be Bear Grylls, wrestling with a clothes dryer balanced on a fridge. We moved beds, mattresses, the BBQ (which is probably bigger than most people's kitchens), filing cabinets, tall boys, a washing machine, a fridge, a dryer, and many boxes of stuff...all of it really, really heavy!!

We sorted it all out, put the items we wouldn't need at the back of the room and placed the stuff to come with us on Saturday at the front. It was like doing a gigantic (or ormous!) jigsaw puzzle. I will admit it was very satisfying to close the roller door on a tidy, arranged storage unit - but as it was midnight when we finished, I didn't really stop to think about it too much! We arrived home to a squalling baby, so of course I sat up and gave Maisie Mouse a feed. We crawled into bed at 1am. Of course, when I woke on Monday morning I realised that the hard work was only beginning - I have to pack up our belongings at home now!! How can three children have so much stuff?? Stay tuned!!

No comments: