Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Squashed flies and custard

I'm having a few issues. I'm afraid that I seem to be unable to make a simple decision. Any decision. It's as though my head is full of squashed, dead flies, and my eyes are taped shut with cotton wool under the tape, and I'm swimming through custard. I'm not even sure what that analogy means!

Like most primary schools, Jack's school gives the Preppies a rest day on Wednesdays for the first few weeks. After his first week at school and the dawning realisation that my year would involve many hours of driving to and from kinder and school, walking Jack into and out of school, and manipulating my time during school hours to ensure I would never, ever be late to school, I was absolutely knackered. I knew Jack would be tired after his first few days of being a big school boy; I hadn't counted on the exhaustion that would follow a week of getting everybody out the front door, dressed, with clean teeth, clean faces, clean clothes, and a packed school lunch, at precisely ten minutes past eight. And then getting everybody back to school for the pick-up at 3:05!

So I was looking forward to today, to give Jack a chance to have a sleep-in and loll around in his jarmies for a while, and for me to have a much less stressful start to the day. Given that we were not woken by anyone with a wet bed last night, or anybody needing a drink of water, or anybody with monsters in the cupboard, we had a pretty good nights' sleep - the only disturbance was Miss Mouse needing a little pat to go back to sleep around 3am. Possibly she had a bad dream about a booby running away?? Who knows.

Well, I may have had a decent sleep last night, but I was still completely stonkered this morning. The kids played in their pjs and watched telly while I pottered around, washing dishes and folding clothes. Maisie practiced her pulling-up on completely inappropriate objects, such as the TV cabinet with the really sharp edges. I actually managed to leave mid-morning, with the house relatively clean and tidy, and the kids relaxed and dressed in clothes that looked laundered (as long as you didn't look too closely!). But at the supermarket, do you think I could think of one single recipe to make for dinner? Ah, that would be a big, fat, NO. I honestly could not retrieve, or decide upon, a meal to prepare for tonight. So I made the sensible decision to choose random ingredients such as parsnips, pineapple, nectarines and dog food. Dinner tonight should prove to be VERY interesting!!! Unique, you might say.

We also had to run to the local market to do an errand for my mum, so with Maisie in the pram and the other two on foot, we wound our way through the market-day crowds. We visited a stall selling gorgeous, fresh vegan muffins, and I allowed Jack and Phoebe to choose one each for being so good (it's not a bribe if they're behaving at the time, right?). Unfortunately, the stall my mum needed wasn't there today, so I visited a similar one to try and find her a replacement item. And do you think I could make a simple decision? I umm-ed and aah-ed, and compared this one with that one...and all the while my kids played on a nearby step, and Maisie sunned herself in the pram. In the end, I didn't like anything enough to buy it, so we left empty-handed - hot, bothered, and in a ridiculously large crowd. I felt very silly, but I wasn't going to spend someone else's money when I wasn't sure about something.

We visited Argie for lunch, which is always a lovely day. She understands when I am tired, or run-down, and she is always easy company. Unfortunately Jack chose today to debut his wobblies at Argie's, so by the time he had finished throwing his tanty I was ready to finish the day. I know he only did it because he was as tired as I was, and when we got home he slept for three hours. While he slept, the girls played on the floor and I attempted to assemble a dinner from the contents of my pantry and the shambles I bought at the supermarket this morning. I couldn't tell you what I cooked, but it had lots of colours in it. Funnily enough, they all ate it.

And now that they are all settled, and the dishes are done, I have sat down to blog, and the flies in my head are just jammed in there so tightly, I can't think straight. I still can't make a grown-up decision, like what to have for dessert. Because I'm hungry, but I don't know what I want. I know I need to organise clothes for tomorrow, but I can't think where to start. I have been sitting here in front of this computer for half an hour, and I have no idea what to write about. It's squashed flies, I'm telling you. And custard. Nice.

1 comment:

Bec | Mumma Tells said...

When I'm feeling like that... I insist that Chris makes the decisions. Problem is there are definately times we BOTH feel like our brains are not functioning. Perhaps we too have had a case of squashed flies and custard. Haven't ever thought of dsecribing it that way, but I like it. Love. Xx.