Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Fish Called Jack

I am as proud as punch today. In fact, I was so proud this morning, I nearly burst, leaving splatterings of blood and bodily parts and bits all over the place....luckily I held it together, hey?

Jack has been having swimming lessons since he was about two, and even before that he was a true water baby. The first time I immersed him in the warm, chlorinated waters of our local pool, I expected that stiffening of the body that babies do when they're freaked out by something. Instead, he shrieked with joy, splashed himself silly for half an hour, and cried violently when I took him out. Since then, we've had a hard time keeping him out of the water, and often spend many minutes explaining why normal people DO NOT swim at the beach in the depths of winter.

Jack has always rejoiced in swimming, regardless of whether it's at the beach, or the pool, or a deep, muddy puddle in someone's driveway. There is a look of utter delight on his little face when he is in the water, as though he is in his natural environment. The pool is one place I never have to worry about him being cheeky, or misbehaving for the teacher, because it would devastate him to miss out on his lesson.

Today our boy was assessed to see if he was ready to move up a level. After watching him splash his stuff a few times up and down the length of the pool, his teacher looked across to Christian and I, held up four fingers and mouthed "K4!" Now, where our kids have swimming lessons, the levels are delineated K1, K2, K3, and so on, right up until K12, at which point they graduate as accomplished swimmers. The significant thing about moving up from K3 to K4, is that Jack will move from the little 'baby' pool into the big pool. This is where stroke technique is perfected, strength is acquired, and confidence makes young men and women proud of themselves.

And my baby was so, so proud of himself today - as were Christian and I. At the end of every lap of the pool, be it a torpedo, or a platypus kick, or backstroke with wobbly, uncertain arms, Jack stood up, smiled broadly at us and waved. He knew he had achieved something big today, and he was so chuffed, it was gorgeous to watch. He didn't mind that I was also watching Phoebalina kick madly with her floatie on her back, blowing bubbles until her eyes popped; or that I was waving at Maisie singing "Hokey Pokey" with her Daddy. (Truth be told, watching all three of them is an art form - you need to continuously scan the three lanes so you don't miss anyone doing their thing!! I always need a coffee afterwards...)

I'll be honest - it's been a tricky few weeks since Jack started Prep. I have felt as though I've been walking on a tightrope keeping nap times for babies and play times for toddlers and meal times so that school boys get to bed on time...almost as though if I don't keep the balance right, the family will fall off kilter. Silly, I know. But he's my biggest baby, and he's been through so much in the past year. Not many four year olds would have had to cope with the events that were thrown at Jack in 2010. So I suppose I feel responsible for making sure everything is ok, and that he is happy.

To make the most of his achievement today, I cooked a 'celebration lasagne' for dinner tonight.We told the kids it was to celebrate Phoebe's excellent listening and kicking in the pool, and Jack's move up to the big pool. Maisie didn't care what it was for - she was pleased that Mum had cooked such a squishy dinner!! I love the fact we can celebrate these things together. And now my little fish is fast asleep, probably dreaming of being underwater. I hope he keeps waving to me from the pool for a few more years yet...even when it's embarrassing to have a proud mum sitting on the sidelines!! Maybe I'll just have to invest in some obscuring sunglasses...

No comments: