Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Can You Keep A Secret?

Can you keep a secret?

Me, I'm pretty good at it, especially if it's a really good one. I can hold my tongue about other people's pregnancies (and to a certain extent my own!), birthday presents, surprise parties, naughty deeds that may or may not have been committed. Christian is absolutely hopeless. I am fairly sure this is because he just hates waiting for surprises when he's the one being surprised. Or perhaps he's just really bad at keeping secrets?? Our fantastic night out last week was the first time my hubby managed to keep a secret from me since he had my engagement ring made without my knowledge. So I suppose with him, it's quality, not quantity, right?? Haha.

Well. I have a secret. And since it's such a good one, I thought I would share it with you. But only you, ok? Promise you won't tell??

My Dad is an outstanding artist (but that's not the secret!). Ever since I can remember, our garage has been full of easels and paints and turps, and pretty much every spare minute my Dad ever had when we were growing up, he was painting. He can do portraits in watercolour and oils; he can do beautiful landscapes with different textures; he does amazing animal portraits, and once did an exhibition of native Australian birds; and he also does gorgeous art for children. He has painted surfers, footy players and racehorses. He has entered the Archibald contest numerous times, each portrait depicting a different famous face.

When my brother was a baby, my Dad painted a mural in Josh's bedroom that covered an entire wall. He painted Snow White and the seven dwarves in a daycare centre, which would have made Walt Disney proud. And when my kids were born, they were each presented with two of Pa's paintings to hang in the nursery. My Dad is modest, to say the least...so although he has a gallery, and has done commissioned paintings for about 30 years, he has never really sold his kids' artwork. He preferred to give his canvases as gifts, thinking no one would want to buy them. Oh, how wrong he was.

People have always commented on the art work hanging on my walls, particularly the beautiful, bright paintings displayed in my children's bedrooms. On New Year's Eve while we were at Gertrude's house, Esmerelda commented on the canvas hanging in Will's bedroom. She asked if it was one of my Dad's, and remarked that they must sell well. When I told her he gave them away, she was shocked, and suggested that they would be very popular if we set up an online business.

So, given that I completely agreed with Esmerelda (and had, in fact, attempted to persuade Dad to sell his children's art previously with no success), I approached him once more to see if he would set up on online business with me, selling his stunning paintings for children. And finally, he said yes. Not only that, but my sister is on board, too. Exciting much???

So my super secret is that after months of feverish painting and ideas being thrown around, our fledgling business is almost ready to go. We will begin with framed and unframed canvases, but there are already plans afoot for matching lamps, satchels and other gorgeous bedroom accessories. You will be the first to know when our launch date is...but until then, I am keeping the best part of the secret to myself. The unveiling of our baby business, it's name and it's website will happen very, very soon...and then you will be able to feast your eyes on our stunning art work. Until then....ssshhhhhh!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Casey said...

Cannot wait!!!!I adore Rons work. He is amazing and I am absolutely certain both of my super gorgeous children will love a little 'sumpin' for their rooms and to treasure for a long time yet...

Maxabella said...

I knew your secret already! I think you gave me a 'sneak peek' on my own site.

Sing out when you're up and running and we'll do a little interview for Wearing Clever Clogs.

maxabella@gmail.com

Salamander said...

Casey, he loves you too sweetie!!

And Maxabella - I did indeed!! I am so very excited about it all. Thank you so much - an interview with you would be absolutely wonderful. We are planning a launch soon - will keep you posted via email xxxxxxxx