Sunday, March 27, 2011

Spreading the Liebster Love



I know that I haven't been blogging for a very long time. I know that there are days that I miss (and oh my lord, are those the days when I really need it!). I know that while I blog predominantly for myself (to save on therapists' bills), I also love love LOVE it when other people read my blog. I know that when someone actually leaves a comment on my blog, I do a little happy dance inside (because after all, we all know I'm still an insecure school girl on the inside. I'm just a pregnancy-marked housewife on the outside!) I know that not everyone who reads my blog "follows" me (but every time someone new follows me I do the happy dance again!) I know that my blog isn't the prettiest, or the cleverest, or the one chockers of crafty items handmade in between growing organic vegetables and weaving the hair of a yak on my antique loom.

And yet...the other day, a fellow blogger made my day. Talk about a happy dance - it was a full-blown, knee-slapping, skirt-raising, voice-whooping dance extravaganza complete with ra-ra skirt and tinsel falling from the ceiling. That's how happy I was!!! The lovely and delightful AMB from Suburban Sonnet nominated me for the Leibster Award, a pass-the-love-on award for little-known blogs with a handful of followers. Honestly, there are so many amazing bloggers out there in cyber-land, I was excited to say the least. The last certificate I won was for doing my anaphalaxsis training at work. And that was compulsory...and everyone got a certificate!!

So of course, this got me thinking about who to pass the award on to. Most of the blogs I follow have a bajillion followers already, and apparently you can only pass the Liebster on to those with fewer than 300 (and with 35, I most certainly qualify!!). My first two nominees were easy-peasy: my very gorgeous friend Casey has a brand-spanking new blog (actually, her second - she's very clever!!) all about cooking and babies and household hints (you should check out the one about getting rid of huntsmen...*shudder*) and weight loss - go and check out Milkncookies - you'll love it!! And when you become addicted to one of Casey's recipes, such as her choc-chip cookies, don't blame me!!

My second nomination goes to my beautiful surrogate older sister, whom you may recognise from some of my posts as "Aunty Cake" (thank you, Phoebalicious!) Aunty Cake has only just moved all the way to the land of peanut butter M&Ms, red pick-up trucks and all of the romantic settings from 'Sleepless in Seattle'...that's right, she's an expat in America. And her blog is exquisite - her detailed descriptions of the places she and her husband are visiting are incredible. Kate's blog makes me want to go back to the US tomorrow. You must must MUST visit her blog - Getting Off The Interstate - it's well worth the 27 hour flight!!

I trawled the internet for hours last night searching for a third blog to give a Liebster. To be honest, it took me a while to find one that stood out, with only a few followers. I'm so glad I persisted - the amazing Leesa at My Balancing Act is an incredibly strong woman (from what I can see) and makes the most divine children's clothing. Her precious baby daughter often models the clothes, and honest to goodness, I could buy every piece. Please, take the time to visit Leesa and read her story - she is an inspiring lady, and I'm so glad I found her!

This Liebster award is just a nice way of sharing the love, isn't it? And let's be honest - I think many bloggers (myself included) put their thoughts out into cyberspace to feel part of a community. Certainly, as a stay-at-home mummy, I began blogging because there were many days when I felt quite alone. Despite having many friends, and loving my children far beyond the point of rational thought, and being happy with my life, there are only so many times you can clean up vomit / wee wee / poo / lunch without feeling a bit blah. When I realised that my most exciting outing was to go to Safeway, and that I often found myself giggling hysterically to myself at jokes the Wiggles were making (and which I had heard many, many times before), I knew that I needed an outlet. And thank Buddha for my children, who have provided me with an endless supply of material. Even when they're being revolting, they're funny. When they're naughty, they're blogging gold. Hoo-ray.

Take today for example. Normally on a Sunday afternoon I do the big weekly supermarket shop on my own. It's an indulgence, I know - unmitigated me-time at it's finest. I'm such a devil I surprise even myself. Anyhow, today my beloved was desperately trying to get some correction done in a house filled to capacity with noise. So I eyeballed the big kids, threatened them with drastic action should the cross-voice have to make an appearance, and shipped all three off to Coles with me.

I had an iron-clad shopping list (for once in my life I had actually sat down and planned meals for the week, writing the specific ingredients necessary for each gourmet offering - incredible, no?) and we stuck to it, religiously. In the fresh produce area, Jack and Phoebe took it in turns putting things GENTLY into the trolley. We counted out apples and potatoes into the placky bags, my best Play-School-presenter's voice encouraging taking turns and helping each other. We learned that in supermarkets there was to be no running or shouting; we had a chance to make 'good choices' for school play lunches (and in Phoebe's case, 'good choices' for morning teas at home with Mumma) And I must say, my kids earned themselves gold stars for behaviour in the super-duper today.

However.

The Mouse was perched in her cosy fabric-snuggly-thingy that covers the grotty trolley seat. It's one of her favourite places, apparently. And while the big kids were being so helpful to Mummy, Mais had her arm casually slung over the back of her seat. When I was busy choosing, pointing, describing, praising, my smallest fairy-girl was surreptiously taking grapes out of the bag in the trolley and stuffing them into her delicate little mouth. So when I caught her, and she froze, hand halfway to her gob, I chastised, "Maisie! Are you stealing grapes??" And she stared at me, huge blue eyes wide open, cheeks bulging, rosebud mouth pursed closed, and a tiny dribble of grape-juice running down her chin. And shook her head.

The other two burst out laughing, which meant Miss Maisie did too - a great big belly laugh with a mouth full of chewed-up grapes. She stopped laughing pretty quickly when I moved the grapes to the other end of the trolley, and spent the rest of the excursion trying to reach them! (She's a determined little miss too, because when I was packing the fridge back at home, she crawled underneath me to reach the grapes in the crisper!!)

If there was an award for children who behave in supermarkets, even when they are surrounded by Easter eggs and they're knackered from swimming lessons, then I would definitely give it to my sprogs today. Even the grape-thief. God help me when those nappies come around!!

8 comments:

ANB said...

I must admit to doing a little victory wiggle of my own when I received the award so it was a pleasure to pass it on! Thanks for pointing me in your sister's direction. I love travel blogs, they relieve all my stilted wandering urges.

PJ said...

Congrats!!! :)

Kate said...

Aww...shucks, Sal! Thanks for the vote of confidence. Being so new to blogging, it's nice to hear people are enjoying my ramblings :)
And just so you know, your blog is the first thing I read every morning - makes me feel a little closer to home. Love to you & Christian, as well as Master Jack, Princess Phoebes and the Mouse xxxx

Anonymous said...

This is very inspiring work you have created for us. Some people need to know that these things can ensue to anyone. You have shown me a better view now.

Leesa said...

Thank you so much for the lovely award and beautiful comments about my blog. I must say that I had a little tear. These days I really just blog for me - a bit of this and a bit of that - blogging my everyday life would be a miserable tale. So thank you for brightening my day and taking the time to read.

Hear Mum Roar said...

Your little grape thief sounds too cute!

Stacia said...

I love when I get to grocery shop alone, too. Tiny, mischievous grape-stained smiles sound pretty sweet, too, though! =>

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

LOL! Congrats on your award - I love reading new blogs!

Thanks for Rewinding at the Fibro.