Sunday, March 13, 2011

Grateful for Miffy and Whale

Imagine this:

You have three very young children.

Both you and your lovely husband lost your jobs on the very same day.

You sold your house, and the one you are building has been delayed so badly that you're beginning to think pitching a tent on the block of mud would be simpler.

You have no income whatsoever, and have been relying on the kindness and charity of your family and friends.

And it's Christmas.

This was the situation we found ourselves in at the end of last year. Luckily, our family and friends were very supportive and understanding when we explained that we simply couldn't afford Christmas-plus-all-the-trimmings. I had a pre-paid agreement with the big man in the red suit (thank you, thank you 6 month lay-by!!), and other than that, all we could give to our loved ones were hugs and home-made chocolates.

We asked our families if we could abstain from present-giving. I didn't feel comfortable receiving gifts knowing that we couldn't give in return, so I had asked them not to buy us anything at all. And like all good families, they listened to me...and completely ignored my request. So throughout Christmas, I would estimate that the kids each received double the number of presents they normally would have. And Christian and I were thoroughly spoiled - and I mean, ridiculously so.

Last night, we enjoyed one of our Christmas presents - one of the most thoughtful, generous, wonderful gifts I have ever received. My beautiful baby sister Miffy and her gorgeous boy, Whale, paid for an exceptionally lavish meal at a local restaurant (paid months in advance with a standing reservation!), and threw in free babysitting for our three sprogs. Now seriously, what parent would not jump for joy at the thought of a night like that? And considering how long it has been since we've eaten somewhere fancy (I'd place the time frame in years), it was a golden night.

To put this in perspective - the last time we took the kids out for a meal, Christian and I shared a $10 pizza. And a jug of water. Last night, we savoured every mouthful of eye fillet like it was our last supper...and then followed it with lemon tart with a brulee crust (Christian) and japonnaise, a French concoction of meringue, chocolate, vanilla cream and berries (for moi). Not to mention a glass of local chardy, a couple of coffees, and the joy of sitting just the two of us, eating and chatting, without having to get up from the table even once.

And when we arrived home, all three kids were happily asleep. Apparently the Mouse had fallen asleep holding Uncle Whale's hand. Bless. The knowledge that our kids had been loved, and played with, and had gone to sleep happy, while we enjoyed the best meal I can remember, made Miffy and Whale's gift indescribably wonderful. I cannot thank them enough for the gift of last night. I am so grateful for my baby sister, and my gorgeous BIL. Hopefully they know how much.

Now, how long so you think I should wait before I ask if we can do it all again?

4 comments:

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

What a fabulous present! I'd be extremely grateful for that, too.

Maxabella said...

Miffy is just the kindest soul, isn't she? The perfect present for two time-strapped, cash-strapped parents. I love her! x

Chantelle {fat mum slim} said...

That sounds like just what you needed. So glad to hear you had a good time. x

beingbree said...

Miffy always has been and always will be one of the kindest most thoughtful people I know, along with the rest of her family. So glad you and your man had such a beautiful night xo