Friday, March 18, 2011

Grateful for having underpants free of vomit

I love being a part of Maxabella's weekly 'grateful' posts - it's a nice way to remind yourself of all the good things in your life. And, as always, I am grateful for my family - but today, I was particularly grateful for Maisie Mouse.

After dropping Phoebalina and Jack at kinder and school, Miss Mouse and I walked back to the car together in silence. And just as I was thinking how quiet it was without my chattering ballerina, or the running commentary about life that usually spouts from Jack's mouth, my littlest girl twisted around in the pram to give me a toothy grin.

"Ah," she said. "Na ah ah um, mumma. Da da dadddaaa na um. Ah." And nodded her head in the way of a very wise old woman. I agreed entirely. It was indeed, a lovely morning. And I was grateful to my baby for sharing her observations on life.

We drove to my parents' house, and Maisie enjoyed some quality time with Pa, wandering around the garden. They looked at the birds, and the trees, and the dogs. I think my girl quite likes being high-up on Pa's shoulder, because the nodding and the "ah-ing" went on for some time. And I was grateful to my little one for reminding me how wonderful it is to see your parents with your children. And I was grateful to my Dad, who had managed to make a rather sick little girl contented and quiet.

Mais fell asleep as soon as she hit the car seat, and spent the next few hours catching flies. I watched her sleep, and wondered how it was that I could happily sit for hours and do nothing but gaze at her while she snoozed. What is it about a sleeping baby that is so mesmerising? The creamy eyelids? The slow, even breathing? The little crinkly-eyed smiles they do from the depths of their dreams? The simple fact that they are finally, blessedly, asleep? And while she slumbered, I was grateful for the time up my sleeve to hang out washing, and tidy the kitchen, and sort my mess out, without having constant questions or colouring pencils strewn everywhere or interminable requests for more morning tea. (Not that I don't adore my big kids - but I am always grateful for an hour of peace and quiet!)

Last night, after the Mouse's spewing jag, I did question why, in my extensive reading of pregnancy and toddler-related books, no one ever mentioned the possibility of having baby vomit in your underpants. I'm sure I can't be the first person to experience such an interesting sensation. And despite having to strip down to my under-chunders last night to remove the chunders from my unders...I am grateful to Maisie for not spewing on me that badly in public! Oh yes. I'm a glass-half-full kind of gal. And I am very grateful that she did not spew again today, because I still have not caught up on the spewy washing after last night....

I am grateful that, after having it confirmed this week that I am definitely, certainly, never ever able to have any more babies, that my littlest baby has been so snuggly. She lifts her little arms up to me for cuddles at every opportunity; invites me to chase her by crawling away as soon as the nappy is removed, giggling fit to burst; pats my hair and pulls my earrings while she feeds herself to sleep each night; hides her face in my shoulder when faced with a new stranger, and practically leaps from my arms with excitement when we enter the school playground full of shrieking kids; and is always, always reminding me how much she loves her mumma. For that, I am eternally grateful.

And finally, I am grateful to the Mouse for being the one toy in our house that Jack and Phoebe do not squabble over. They both love her to pieces, and constantly smother her with kisses and hugs and declarations of love - even when she is shoving them away and shouting her objections. The first thing Jack does every morning is give Mais a kiss and a cuddle, and the first thing he does after school is run up to her to see how she is. And tonight, Phoebe sang a husky little lullaby to her sister that made me well up. She cannot wait until they are "two sisters sharing one pink bedroom" in our new house. I can't wait for that either.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

New follower popping over from Maxabellas. Your post grabbed me - because frankly I'm grateful for not having spew in my nickers too!!! Looking forward to following along .... Caz

Maxabella said...

"Under-chunders last night to remove the chunders from my unders" - hi.larious!! Of course, I really shouldn't be laughing because (a) not a good sensational, I'll bet and (b) your poor little Mouse!

Sick little bubbas just break my heart. Hope she is feeling much better today. x

PS - Caz (above) is lovely. You two will really like each other!!

Lauren said...

I'm glad you could be grateful even in the under chunder instance. it was wonderful to come and have a look at your blog and share in your gratefuls x