Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Traipsing with Maisie

Wasn't it a glorious day today? Even though it was still quite cool, there was a hint of warmth in the breeze that made me want to crack open the summer wardrobe! Perhaps I'd better think about doing a bit of D.I.Y on the legs before the hemlines get raised...

Phoebalina went off to daycare with Daddy early, so Jack, Maisie and I had a little snuggle in bed before the kinder rush began. Maisie had a check-up with the doctor this morning, so after we dropped Jack off at kinder, we had a leisurely stroll through the supermarket, saw the doctor (Maisie almost certainly has asthma...that's another blog!!) and it was still only 10am. How lovely was this? We strolled through a couple of baby shops looking at clothes we didn't need, had a chat with the local hairdresser, smiled at the greengrocer, grabbed a decaf soy latte, and basically acted as though we were ladies of leisure with not a care in the world! (To look at us, you'd never guess at the horrific scenes of domestic destruction we had left behind us this morning!)

Around 11am, Maisie decided she was ready for her midday refreshments, so we tootled off home. While she slept, I ran around like a madwoman folding washing and putting it away (there was absolutely no dignity involved, I assure you!). By the time Maisie woke up to a clean house (magic, isn't it?? Everyone goes off for their day at work or school or kinder, and comes back to a clean house and a full fridge...those housework fairies are amazing!!) it was time to head out again. After a quick visit to the lovely Holly, my naturopath extraordinaire, we dashed back over to pick up Jack and got him to the hairdresser just in time for his appointment. It was well and truly worth the mad dash in the traffic to get him there, as Whitney our hair stylist snipped her way around Jack's bushy head until he looked absolutely gorgeous.  With only two children in tow, I felt positively calm about the whole dinner-bath-bed scenario tonight (but don't mention tomorrow night - I'll be a work widow then!). We came home, whacked some dinner in the oven, watched a bit of 'Horses and Vomit' (that's Wallace and Gromit in Jack-speak) and were in our pyjamas before Daddy and Phoebe arrived home.

Isn't it funny how a day in which nothing really happened got so crazily busy, and yet felt like a relaxing day anyway? I had three appointments today which I potentially could have been very late for, and yet I wasn't...I had a shedload of washing that potentially could have been left draped all over the house, and yet it wasn't...I dragged a baby from pillar to post who potentially could have been very tired and grumpy, and yet she wasn't...ask me what I remember about today, and it would be traipsing around the shops, coffee in hand, baby in pram, sun shining. It doesn't get any better than that!!!

No comments: