Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Wild Resort

Once upon a child-free time, Christian and I would go on holidays at the end of every school term. Being teachers with cushy school breaks (and may I just state for the record, teachers earn those breaks!!!!!! Without a regular end-of-term hiatus, most teachers would go insane...) we could go away a few times a year. It was always lovely to get away no matter what we did - our holidays ranged from camping at the Tara Valley to going to Bali. One time we even cycled along a rail trail and stayed in a feral old caravan with free samples of peanut brittle stuck to the mattress!! Those were the days.

Since Team O'Toole arrived, our holidays have been few and far between (and funnily enough, we need them so much more these days...) We went to Bright when Jack was 10 weeks old. We stayed at my Mum and Dad's place at the beach one summer when Jack was about 20 months and Phoebalicious was 3 months old. (That was brilliant - built-in babysitters!!) And in July this year we spent a week at Merimbula with all three kids. I can't tell you how decadent that felt! So considering we had just been away (well, three months ago but you catch my drift) I had not even thought about going anywhere on this school break. As you may or may not know, we are currently building a new house (or to be more precise, we are currently waiting for the builders to START building our new house..). For the past six months my lovely in-laws have been allowing us to share their house while we are (technically) homeless, as we had to leave our own place rather suddenly (the subject of which is another blog altogether!) As a result of this, our two cats and our puppy dog are being cared for elsewhere, which meant that when we were offered a friends' place to housesit for the week it was an opportunity too good to pass up!! Usually we need to plan holidays well in advance simply to get the cats into the cattery. This time, we literally threw some clothes in a bag (or 20), kissed Grandma and Grandpa goodbye (I think they'll enjoy the peace and quiet!!) and drove up to our new holiday house! Woohoo!!!

We arrived tonight after a day of swimming lessons, shopping for a new couch and a fair bit of driving. The kids are beside themselves with joy, as our new abode has hens and roosters, hatching chicks, dogs, and a trampoline. The only disappointment for Jack was that his friend Aiden is not here, but he consoled himself by reading books in his new bunk bed (thank you Aiden!) Phoebe is happily ensconced in Harper's beautiful girly room, and Maisie is only slightly freaked out by being in Aurelia's cot (although that may have something to do with clonking herself on the head in her swimming lesson today...not as bad as it sounds, I assure you!) This came as such a lovely surprise this week that I didn't stress about going away and remembering everything the way I normally do...and also I think because it was such an unexpected holiday that I feel so very appreciative to our friends for allowing us to stay in their home and have a little break from reality! Now that we are surrounded by trees and native bush, far away from other neighbours and our own phone, I am beginning to realise after only a few hours how stressed I have felt over the last few weeks. Even giving Maisie her asthma puffer tonight didn't phase me! I think we are going to have a gorgeous time here (and possibly there will be a few stories about Jack's adventures with the chickens...) I promised Anna and Adam no frat parties, but promises are made to be broken! (Just kidding. But not really) Time to check out my new bed, and pray that the kids find theirs to be exceptionally comfy!

No comments: