Monday, January 10, 2011

Spending time with Miffy, Whale and Joshie

I am the eldest of three, and have always had a great friendship with both of my siblings (especially when I was the only one old enough to drive...) Jack, Phoebs and Mais absolutely adore Aunty Miffy and her gorgeous man, Uncle Whale (looooong story!!) - they are the 'fun' parents whilst Daddy and I are the 'unfun' parents. Miffy has the uncanny ability to not only understand all of Jack's jokes, but she can add to the silly factor every single time. Whale can make Phoebe laugh simply by looking at her. And Maisie Mouse will go willingly to both of them, even if I am standing right next to them. Now that's love!!! (Cutest thing ever: watching Miffy and Mouse sharing birthday cake on Saturday. Awwwwww!!) Whenever Aunty Miffy and Uncle Whale are part of the festivities, you know there will be an inordinate amount of squealing going on!

My 'little' brother is a bit of a celebrity with my kids. Not only is Uncle Joshie 6 ft 5, but he has lived interstate or been backpacking overseas for most of the time since the kids were born, so his visits are greeted with ridiculous enthusiasm. Jack and Phoebe seem to be perpetually in a state of competition for Uncle Joshie's attention...however I think Maisie might be winning that one!

Tonight, I had the absolute pleasure of having dinner with my entire immediate family - my parents, Joshie, Miffy, Whale, Christian and the team. I can assure you, having everyone in the same time zone doesn't happen very often, let alone the same room. So it was with great glee that we met up to eat together (although we arrived at the restaurant just as the heavens opened, so we got completely and utterly drenched!). Considering how close we were as children, I miss seeing my brother and sister on a regular basis. I just loved sitting back tonight and watching Jack and Phoebalicious flit between their grandparents and aunty and uncles, and seeing Maisie bouncing in her chair with excitement. Considering how late the kids ate their dinner, they were exceptionally well-behaved, which made the evening even more enjoyable.

I was really grateful for tonight, as my brother is preparing for yet another move interstate - this time, to Queensland. Watching my kids crawl all over him, I was both happy that they were showing him affection so freely, and also a bit sad that we see him so infrequently. Regardless of age, height, or distance, he is still the little brother I desperately wished for and have always adored. Similarly, my baby sister is still my best friend, one of the first people I turn to when I need help, and someone who makes me feel happy simply by being around. Nights like tonight are too rare for my liking, but then again, perhaps that's why I recognise how valuable they are?

I can only hope that like my brother and sister and I, my three sprogs grow up to be good mates; that they are able to lean on each other when they need help; that they continue to make each other laugh; that they simply enjoy each other's company when they are old enough to choose their own friends. At this point in time, Jack and Phoebe are great little mates, and play constantly together which makes my heart turn to mush. Maisie is rapidly joining the gang, and will chase the kids around the house, collecting dirt and bits all over herself, laughing madly as she tries to join in the fun. I suppose that's why I chose to have more than one child (and was lucky enough to be able to do so) - so that they will love each other and support each other throughout their lives. After all, one day they'll have to work out who's going to have the granny flat for us in their backyard...or choose a nursing home...

No comments: