Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The good, the bad, and the temper of a mouse

Today was a busy day of good things... and not-so-good things. Here it is in a nutshell.

Not-so-good: The team did not sleep well last night, and took it in turns to come into our bedroom (or scream from the cot) for no apparent reason at all.

Good: We decided to take them out for the day, so we were out of the house before fatigue could grab hold or before they could murder each other.

Not-so-good: The roadworks on the way to the shopping centre were atrocious. Seriously. Enough is enough - I don't remember a time when there were no roadworks around here, and the roads are still very, very ordinary!!!

Good: We arrived at our local Westfield just in time for a lunch that I didn't have to make or clean up after. Nice.

Not-so-good: We chose a birthday present for Jack's mate, carefully considering age appropriateness, coolness factor, and price. However, when we went through the checkout, the lovingly-chosen present scanned at a much higher price than the one on the shelf. Put nicely, as much as Jack wanted to give this very cool pressie, we simply could not afford it. Daddy had a discussion with the returns desk, and was pushed to the side for around about 15 minutes (and no, I'm not exaggerating!!)

Good: Christian was finally given the difference after a "discussion" with the manager, and it turned out that the item was indeed meant to be at the lower price. Christian = 1, Big W = 0.

Not-so-good: The kids were very kindly given balloons by a promotional thingy - you know, the ones with lethal plastic sticks attached to them. The ones that immediately make you see eyeballs dripping on the end of them, but which would make you look churlish if you refused them.

Good: I have never seen a baby so happy about anything in my whole life!! After we removed the death-stick from her balloon, Maisie laughed her backside off at her balloon for a good 30 minutes, while I held onto it desperately and she batted it with her feet, whacked it with her hands, and attempted to bite it with her fangs. Laugh? You've never seen anything like it. She was shrieking so much people stopped to have a gander.

Not-so-good: After Maisie's balloon landed on the floor in the toilets, we removed it from her loving advances...and paid a heavy penalty. My baby daughter screamed horrible, eardrum-shattering, voicebox-ruining screams all the way from one end of the shopping mall to the other. And the stares I received were not pitying, but rather accusing...

Good: After casually strolling through the mall with a banshee on my shoulder, I turned Maisie around, looked her firmly in the eye, and said, "Stop. You are being very silly." (I didn't expect it to work, but what else did I have??) And amazingly, incredibly, and mercifully, she stopped! (And laughed, the little bugger).

Not-so-good: I had to find a formal dress for a wedding we are attending next week, and with very little money I was a bit anxious about finding anything at all.

Excellent: I found a dress, in the first shop we visited (thank the sweet, sweet Lord), for $39.95!!!!!!!!! What I want to know is, when do I wake up? Seriously - it's quite plain but it's lovely, it fits, and it was UNDER 40 DOLLARS. There is a God.

Not-so-good: The kids napped in the car on the way home, so bedtime was a write-off before it started...

Good: Christian hopped on the bike while I took Jack, Phoebs, the Mouse and Daisy on a flog-them-until-they're-exhausted walk, including running races on the local oval. I may be blonde, but it's not real!!!

Not-so-good: Maisie tried out her newly-acquired temper tantrum skills on us at bedtime, and I must say the newly paint-stripped walls look interesting.

Good: All three kidlets are asleep (or pretending to be), and I still have swishy, shiny new hair. Score.

No comments: