Saturday, January 22, 2011

Hangin with my peeps

Woohoo!! Another double-posting day!!

Now, before you start to question my methods (or my madness, for that matter) let me just point out that last night was an exceptionally late night - and even though we got in from the circus at 11pm, that did not take into account the extra feed the Mouse needed to get settled...so all in all it was a veeeeeeerry late night, and I didn't blog. But wouldn't you? After your kids' first visit to the circus? I would. Which brings me to the double-blogging...

Today was just as exciting as the circus, and funnily enough quite similar in a way! Being an exceptionally lucky person, I went to two secondary schools, and in both I gained a very close group of friends. Today's story is about my first school - and a group of gorgeous people who have known me since I was a geeky 14 year old...As is normal amongst high school friends, my group has scattered all over the globe in the years since we left school. During that time, we have worked, gone to uni, changed jobs, had babies, travelled, introduced partners to the fold...and very, very rarely have we all been in the same place at the same time.

When it became clear that the gang was going to be in the same vicinity, at the same time, for the first time in a very long time, the most lovely Fleurbee sprang into action, and organised for us all to get together at her mum's place by the beach. Needless to say, the date was marked in red on the calendar. And so it was that when my tired kids dragged themselves out of bed this morning, and I informed them we were going to a pool party at Aunty Fleur's today, they found a new and seemingly-bottomless source of energy...

Assembled at the divine beach house today were: Fleurbee and her lovely sister Kirra, Kirra's friend Fiona, Kerry and Jeff, Kirst, Debs, Ky-Ky, Nat and Amar, Paulsa, Dels, Christian and myself, and our combined twelve children. That's right: twelve children. And boy, did those kids know how to party!! They all played so well together it was gorgeous to watch - from games in the garden, to games in the pool, they ran and squealed and had a high old time. There may have quite possibly been the beginnings of a romance between Jack and Josephine...watch this space!! Goodness knows Phoebe was in heaven today, running around with all the 'big' girls, and Maisie happily went from one aunty to another...

Had I closed my eyes today (and removed all evidence of the young 'uns), you could easily have convinced me that I was 16 again. Being with my girls today made me so happy. There is nothing in this world like being with people who have known you for forever...who have seen you at your lowest...who have celebrated with you at your happiest...whose company reminds you that friendship is truly invaluable. Rather than being at a party making small talk with strangers, I was able to catch up on the news from friends whom I hadn't seen in years and years - but chatting with them was as easy as it was at the bus stop in 1992. We may have a few kids / travel stories / mortgages between us (and a few more wrinkles / grey hairs / creaky knees) than the last time we were together, but there were as many laughs today as when we used to sit on the old bench in the Senior School courtyard, wearing daggy school uniforms.

Thank you all for a magic afternoon - I came home feeling happier for being with you. My kids, I know, had a ball, and want to know when we are doing it again! And Fleur - a special thank you to you, for organising the whole shebang, and allowing us to traipse throughout your mum's house with wet feet and shouty kids. Love you lots, sweetie. And now that the circus is over (for the second time!), and all three munchkins are asleep, let's see how long I can stay awake to watch the tennis...???

No comments: