Saturday, January 8, 2011

The festival of sand, butterflies and pink icing

Over the last two days, I have lost count of the number of times I have looked at my three kids and marvelled at how lucky I am. Considering we are wrapping up a two-day birthday extravaganza for the Mouse, they have been remarkably well-behaved!!

Maisie's first birthday yesterday was a wonderful day. Once again, Mais began her day with a snuggle and a feed in our bed. I couldn't help doing a happy-dance inside my head, as when she was born my in-your-dreams breastfeeding goal was to get to her first birthday. Daggy, I know, but it meant a lot to me - and the best part is, she's still going strong. I don't know what it is about nursing, but for me it's the ultimate cuddle. Given that I couldn't feed her big sister for more than 6 days, I am forever grateful for this second chance! (and a reprieve from washing baby bottles...)

Jack and Phoebe were very excited to give Maisie her birthday present - a bunny rabbit that they had stuffed themselves, with a recorded message from them inside it. So cute!! We had decided to take the kids to the beach early in the morning, as it would appear that Maisie is a born beach-bunny. There couldn't have been a better place to go for her birthday, and thankfully the weather co-operated. The kids had a ball, screaming and splashing and running through the waves. Maisie looked very sweet, sitting in a big pool of water and dribbling sand on her legs. It was unfortunate that after I had sunscreened her at home, she had crawled away...because as the day wore on, her sunburned knees became more and more prominent!

After a quiet afternoon at home (for the kids, at least - they played and watched a DVD, while I sweated in the kitchen baking party treats and Christian worked outside in the garden), we took the troops out for dinner. It was only La Porchetta, but they were so excited. We had a table upstairs next to open French doors, with a sea breeze coming in. We sang Happy Birthday to our little one, and she clapped her pudgy little hands and smeared chocolate cake all over herself (and the table and the highchair and the floor...) It was a lovely day, and our girl smiled from the moment she woke until she fell asleep in my arms.

This morning, it was all systems go! Maisie, not surprisingly, slept in, but Jack and Phoebs were ready and raring to go for the birthday party. I think they asked me every three minutes if it was time yet (Jack was asking because he had another party before Maisie's; Phoebe was asking if it was time for cake yet!) By the time Gertrude and her gang arrived, we had a clean house, party food almost ready, pink balloons galore, pink butterfly napkins and hats and loot bags, and an enormous, pink, butterfly birthday cake (which took me HOURS to ice last night, because it kept collapsing - seriously, who would have thought a cake could cause a near-nervous breakdown??)

Our little unit was full to bursting with people who love our Maisie Mouse today. Even though it was stinking hot (note to self: hot day plus oven plus lots of people = hot house no matter how high you crank up the cooler!), crowded and noisy, I think (hope) our loved ones enjoyed the day. I know for a fact that the birthday girl loved every minute. Although she snatched forty winks in the middle of the festivities, the rest of the time she giggled and crawled and nibbled on cake (and other tidbits she found on the carpet...), and I am so glad we threw a party for her. She looked like a little doll in her party dress, and there were soft curls at the nape of her neck. The only time she grew shy was when we all sang "Happy Birthday", and she turned her head into my neck. Other than that, I must say Maisie Elizabeth Rose took the fuss with aplomb. Thank you to everyone who helped celebrate Maisie's first orbit around the sun  - you know who you are. A special thank you to Gertrude and Esmeralda, who brought scrumptious baked goodies and love aplenty, and my lovely Mum, whose treats did not stand a chance!!

To Jack and Phoebe, I would like to say how wonderful you were this weekend. Your little sister is very, very lucky to have a big brother and sister who love her so madly. It has made my heart sing, watching the two of you celebrate Maisie's birthday with joy. I love you both to the moon and back to the beach.

To Christian, thank you for letting me turn our house into a madhouse full of pink butterflies! Without you, I would have been banging my head into a bowl of bright pink icing hours ago. Thanks for everything you do. Love you, babe.

And to my baby birthday girl, Miss Maisie Mouse. Every single moment being your Mummy is a joy. Words cannot express the happiness you have brought to this family, and how lucky we are to hold you in our arms every day. On this your first birthday, I wish you a lifetime of love, luck, happiness, and reaching for the stars. Happy birthday, my darling xxx

No comments: