Monday, January 31, 2011

Ben's Baptism

Yesterday was a funny, sad, happy, funny, surprising, funny, entertaining, hot day. We left very early in the morning to drive up to Woodend for Ben's christening - considering he is Gertrude's youngest boy, to us it was a family occasion, as Ben is like a cousin to our kids. During the almost-two-hour drive, there were a few interesting little conversations with Jack about religion, church and God.

Religion is an interesting topic in our house - we have friends of all denominations, have taught children with many and varied religious beliefs, and have ourselves been raised with very different religious educations. Christian is a practising Buddhist, and has actually been authorised to teach Buddhism and Buddhist meditation. As a result, the religious education that our children receive in our house (more by osmosis than concentrated effort!) is based upon the principles of Buddhism - namely, to live well every day, to be mindful of your actions and words, and to be happy. I realise that this tiny nutshell in no way encompasses Buddhism, but these seem to be the dominant themes that occur in our family.

In the car, Jack asked where we were going, and why. I explained that it was Ben's christening day, and that we were going to church with Ben's family to celebrate his baptism. The conversation included questions such as:
Who is God?
Why can't I see him?
Where does he live?
Does he have a dog?
Doee he have eyes? (this one from Phoebalina)
What's a christening?
Can we run and play in the church?
What's a church?
When is it lunchtime?

I think I managed to completely mangle the answers to all of the above. Christian laughingly told me I had entered a theological discussion that had run away from me...I didn't hear him trying to answer Jack's interrogation!!!

Considering the sweltering heat yesterday, the kids were all exceptionally well-behaved during the service. Jack, Phoebe, Will, Kelan and Hamish all sat at a colouring-in table behind the last pew, and kept themselves pretty well entertained for at least half an hour. Ben kept running down the aisle, meaning poor Gertie kept running after him (he also decided to bite his mummy's shoulder while they were standing at the font - little rascal!!) Maisie had a few forays up the aisle, commando-ing her way along the carpet in her embroidered, lace-trimmed pink dress (that I was determined that she wear before she grew out of it!!). I wasn't too concerned about her getting dirty, until she discovered the open door in the vestibule...

The cutest moment of the day was when the baptism vows were being said, and Ben was being held by his parents. Will, his older brother, was standing uncertainly in front of the minister, looking a bit nervous at facing the congregation. Phoebe ran up the aisle (despite Christian and I hissing loudly at her to get back!!!), took Will's hand, and they stood holding hands, completely content, looking at everyone until the ceremony was finished. Then they walked proudly down the aisle like a mini bride and groom, smiling. Gertrude and I were so proud!! We can only dream...

We went back to Gert's place for lunch with the family, and had a lovely time. The only problem was, every time Gertrude, Esmerelda and I found ourselves in a group (which kept happening!), one of us got teary! And I have told you many, many times before - I am a very ugly crier. Seeing Gert's house partially packed up, and watching our kids play so well together, it was just all too emotional. The kids just love each other and there's never a squabble when they play. I had gone to Gert's house without realising that she would be moving to Queensland in just over a week - and it hit me so hard yesterday. I get thingy now just thinking about it. So what did Esmerelda and I do about it? We organised a play date for this coming Thursday!! Ahh, good old denial...at least we have Will and Phoebe's wedding to look forward to!

2 comments:

Maxabella said...

What a lovely day and how lucky you are to have such loving friends.

Definitely kitchen table, definitely!!! x

Salamander said...

Thanks for that Maxabella!! Yes, I am very lucky - and you're right. I'm kitchen table all the way - complete with scratches in the wood and holes dug out with forks!! xx