Friday, August 27, 2010

Gertrude and Ermintrude

When you are feeling as sick as a dog, the kids are crabby because it's Friday, it's raining, and you've got more washing to do than is humanly decent, there's only one thing in this world that will make you feel better. (And no, it's not a whisky mac at lunchtime...) Nothing at all can make you happier than an afternoon spent with a couple of your closest, oldest friends. I spent today with two of my favourite ladies, whom we shall name Gertrude and Ermintrude. These girls have been friends of mine since high school, and to describe them as my extended family is an understatement. I am so very lucky to have such gorgeous friends who support me no matter what, and who are always willing to hold whichever child needs holding when two hands is no where near enough!!

People always joke about women going on maternity leave and becoming addicted to Days Of Our Lives and Oprah...although I will admit to watching Oprah occasionally, it's usually just so there's a bit of company in the room when all the kids are having a nap (a rarity, I assure you!!!! With three in the house, it's a strange day indeed when they're all down for a sleep at the same time...I get too suspicious to enjoy it!) Although I love being at home with the kids, and I acknowledge that maternity leave is a luxury that not all women get to enjoy, we forget that a lot of the time we leave our social networks in the office when maternity leave begins. I know for a fact that when I am working, I have an instant group of friends who I see in the staff room every day. I never need to schedule time to see them, but rather just enjoy a constant stream of adult company throughout the day (a necessity when dealing with teenagers in an educational setting!). Being a stay-at-home mum, it's very easy to pass several days without seeing anybody other than shopkeepers, and sometimes nobody at all. I know I have caught myself more than once speaking to inanimate objects without any concerns about my sanity. It's not a deliberate act of becoming a recluse, but rather the simple day-to-day management of living with small children - do I need to go out today, or is it easier to stay at home??

Having a group of girlfriends who you can turn to in any situation is one of the most important resources a mother can have. I know that I could have turned up to Ermintrude's house today in my jarmies, and she would have greeted me with the same warm hug as always (and come to think of it, a long, long time ago I'm pretty sure the three of us spent our fair share of time hanging out in our pjs...usually the morning after the night before!!) I always knew my girlfriends were special, but it is evident after today that both Gertrude and Ermintrude possess super powers, for when I left them I felt like a new woman. After just a few hours of chatting, having some lunch, and watching our children play happily together, I felt recharged and ready to face the vigours of peak-hour traffic in the rain. Even though I drove for several hours today for our lunchtime visit, it was worth every minute. Jack spent a great deal of the trip home asking (whining) why we were leaving, and asking (demanding) when we were going back. How fantastic for me, that not only did I get to spend a magic day with my girls, but that our kids get along so well? (Obviously, when we were schoolgirls we knew our kids would be best firiends, or else!!)

From the bottom of my heart, thank you Ermintrude and Gertrude, for a day I truly needed. Thank you for a delicious lunch, a staircase to keep Phoebe enchanted, friends to keep Jack entertained, cuddles to keep Maisie happy, and love to make my heart full again. I only hope that I can return the favour for you when you need it. I will always be here xxx

No comments: