Monday, August 16, 2010

Me-time

A lot of new mothers are encouraged to enjoy some time away from their babies on occasion, for example, going for a walk, getting a haircut, or going out with friends. It is very easy to become entrenched in the day-to-day care of a small child and lose track of who you were before children. It is because of this that many maternal health nurses suggest that for their own well-being, mothers should indulge in some "me-time" on a regular basis.

As I now have three little darlings to love, teach, encourage, protect, wash, cook for, and entertain, I find that having some "me-time" is essential for me to maintain my (admittedly tenuous) sanity. Busy though I may be, I try to ensure that I have a little time alone each day away from my kidlets. For example, I needed to go to the doctor this morning (it turned out to be not only viral conjuncitivitis, but also viral bronchitis to boot. Seems like I was a bit sicker than I thought. Whoops) and my lovely MIL (that's mother-in-law to the uninitiated) offered to watch all three kids as I was a bit nervous about driving with one eye open in today's terrible weather. (And it must have been obvious how excited I was at the prospect of having three wet kids in a crowded waiting room while feeling like death warmed up!!) Anyhow, I left the kids and went to Mt.Martha, and not only did I have an entire hour to myself, I scored three of my favourite 80's songs on the radio on the way home!!! Tallk about me-time extravaganza!!! Never mind I was as sick as a dog and spent most of the time in a waiting room, I got a kid-free hour and the chance to belt out some tunes in the car! What's not to like??

Another regular bit of me-time that I quite enjoy is the grocery shopping. Rather than dragging all of the cherubs with me on one of those baby/toddler/grumpy 4 year old trolleys, I go on a Sunday afternoon or late at night on my own. That's potentially an hour of me-time right there!! Make it a big shop and you could even drag it out to an hour and a half (although typically that would tempt the breastfeeding gods...) It doesn't always have to be an hour away. Even small breaks throughout the day can be enough to refresh you and revive your energy levels. Sometimes, just for a change, I like to have a shower all on my own. I know it sounds decadent, but there's something really peaceful about closing the bathroom door for three minutes. If I'm really lucky I occasionally get to go to the toilet on my own too. Now, this isn't a regular occurrence - quite understandably, with three under five I usually have someone come with me, or have some burning need to talk to me while I'm in there. Today, Phoebe followed me in and insisted that I was sick (she did have a point), and that she was the doctor who would make me feel better. I asked if the doctor could wait until I was back in the loungeroom, and she looked horrified. "No, Mummy!! This is the doctor's house". Excellent. But generally speaking, if you manage to go to the loo, on your own, AND get the door closed, you're on your way to a tiny slice of me-time. It's not hard to achieve, is it??

To be truthful, the half-hour I spend blogging each evening is great me-time, even if it is frequently interrupted. It's a great way to release the foofer-valve, especially when your chest infection is so bad the zumba instructor asks you not to return until you're better. And when I'm blogging, no one can see how mucky and red my diseased eye is, or hear the wheezing of my emphysemic chest. No one can see the piles of wrinkly un-ironed clothes, or the dishes calling my name. It's just you and me. Quality me-time!

No comments: