Friday, August 20, 2010

Mums and Brudders

I love watching Jack and Phoebe play, especially when they're not trying to dismember each other. Like most siblings, they simultaneously adore each other and fight at the drop of a hat. They always want exactly the same toy, even if we own two identical items, and I have often joked to Christian that we should have had twins so they didn't need to share worshipping time at the altar of Maisie (although I must admit, when it comes to Maisie they are both exceptional.) Lately, they have been playing a game of their own invention called "Mums and Brudders" quite a lot. The dynamics of the game change constantly; one minute, Jack will be the 'brudder', and Phoebe will be the mum, next minute, Phoebe is the brudder and Jack is the dog. I was curious about the actual relationships involved, and asked them this morning if Jack was Phoebe's little boy? "No, Mummy", she said very seriously. "I'm the mumma, and Jack is my brudder". Right then. So you're a grown-up lady and he's your baby brother? "No, I'm the mum!!" she huffed, and ran back to her brudder who began barking madly (clearly the canine phase had begun).

Normally, the mums and brudders just herb madly around the house alternately chasing, crying, admonishing and cuddling each other. This morning however, a very interesting exchange occurred. The mum (Phoebe) put the baby doll to bed on the couch and said, "Brudder, the baby is crying" (It is beyond me why she was telling one baby about another baby crying, but there you go). Without missing a beat, Jack replies, "Well, get her then! I'm the dad now, anyway." Phoebe looked completely baffled, so Jack continued with a sigh, "That means I'm at work, and you have to be the mum and stay home and iron." When Phoebe then expressed a desire to be the dog instead, Jack said, "No! There has to be a Mum. That's how the game works, ok?"

Now, on the one hand I'm delighted that a mum is essential to the game - it's good for my ego and makes me believe that I must be doing something right! However, I have a couple of other issues that have arisen from this playful little conversation this morning:
1. Where on earth has Jack got the impression that the dad is an aloof, uncaring-type person who lets babies cry?? Certainly not from his Daddy!!
2. While I understand that my kids perceive my 'job' as staying at home with them, seriously, ironing???? I do a huge range of housework-related tasks in any one day, but ironing is not one of them!! (purely from a safety point of view, of course. Not because I am a lazy git who doesn't care about wrinkles)

I will have to pay very close attention next time they play Mums and Brudders to see if I can glean any further information about our family dynamic. (I am particularly interested in how the mum and the brother are related, but I can't see a logical answer being available in the near future) Let's just say that I am learning something new from our children every day! I wonder what character Maisie will take on when she starts joining in? Stay tuned!

No comments: